• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Aug 15, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, newbie here, apologize first if I'm asking a stupid question :)

I'm currently a senior in college, studying Biochemistry/Pre-Med.
My cGPA before this summer was a 3.4, and I enrolled in 3 classes this summer, hoping to boost it up to a 3.5. However, those 3 classes were Pchem1, Ochem 2, and intro. biochem. I'm afraid my GPA is really bad now (cGPA = 3.3). It was going to be fine but I got in a major car wreck and ended up with two Bs and 1 C this summer. Now I'm seriously concerned.

I looked around this forum and seems like a Special Masters Program serves to strengthen college graduates credentials to medical schools. And Since GPA is my problem, I feel that I should enroll in a SMP.

However, I haven't taken my MCAT yet, it's scheduled to be in Janurary.
Should I wait till the MCAT score to come out? or is my GPA so bad to where unless i get a 40+ on the MCAT there's no way I'll get accepted in to a Med School?

Thank you!!! Please give me your opinion!

ponyo

人魚姫
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2009
North of Key West
Status
Medical Student
About the Ads

pancakesyrup

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2008
If you do well on your MCAT (30+), then you will be competitive for DO schools without needing any SMP.

And that's assuming that your science GPA is similar to your cGPA.

But if you are set on an MD, then yeah, a postbac or SMP is probably needed unless you get a 35+ MCAT.

Aug 15, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Dubaifan, thank you for replying. Just wondering, what's the difference between a DO and MD school?

bajastapler

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2009
Status
In my opinion, I would advise against a SMP. you're close enough that a strong MCAT and ECs would give you a fair shot @ either m.d. or d.o. schools.

*random tip, sometimes there are alot of repeat questions, but if you dig through with the search features, you'll find alot of great info and new perspectives on things that you might not have ever considered.

gl!

Aug 15, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks bajastapler, I wish not to go through with a SMP but looking around in this forum I feel that everyone has a really competitive GPA (at least 90% ppl have a higher GPA than mine).

Good luck to you too!

About the Ads