Medical Should I do an SMP after post bacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from an ivy league university with a 2.7gpa. I had an upward trajectory in undergrad and made deans list my last semester. In my freshman and sophomore years I completed gen chem, gen bio and one semester of orgo and got Cs in all and a D in orgo. Unfortunately I also have two other Ds in non-science classes. I am retaking all the classes and after my first semester in the post bacc have gotten all As in gen chem 1, Bio 1, Bio 1 lab and calc but got a B+ in gen chem lab (3.84gpa for the semester). I had previously taken higher level science classes such as Anatomy, Neuroscience, Physiology and got Bs in all. I plan to complete gen chem and bio sequence this semester, take Orgo 1 + 2 in the summer; Physics 1, Biochem and genetics in fall '19 and Physics 2 and another higher level science elective in spring '20. I am also planning on taking the MCAT in spring '20 and after seeing my score was hoping to apply in the '20-'21 application opening up that June. I have done public health research and have two publications, ~300 hours of volunteering in the hospital, ~100 hours volunteering with underprivileged populations and I am a women URM.

I am wondering if retaking the classes in my post bacc and taking other electives is enough to prove that I am prepared for medical school. Should I wait to apply after taking the MCAT and instead do an SMP that year and apply once I have completed that? Will the 2 D's I have in non-science courses tear me down and should I retake those classes too (Econ and Epidemiology)? If I do well on the MCAT, would I even have a shot at med school (MD & DO)?
I can't recommend retaking Ds in non-science courses, only science ones.

Do not retake any C, unless you are weak on the material for mCAT. Better to take upper level science courses and do well in those.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested in what your pre-health advisors thought about your situation and what they recommended. I'm going to presume with that low of a GPA that a Master's program would be most beneficial for you. Yes, you need to do well on the MCAT and pretty much be very strong in your SMP coursework for a shot at medical school (likely DO will give you a better chance in any case).

Status
Not open for further replies.