Medical Should I do an SMP record enhancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm brand new to SDN but I've been skimming along the site for a while now. I was hoping to get a general feedback or tips on how to enhance my application for medical school.

I applied to a few schools pretty late after going back and forth if I should apply or not this cycle. I ended up submitting an app to UWMC (I am a WA resident), NYMC, and Rosalind Franklin in Chicago just to see what happens on a whim. I am mainly focusing on SMP programs however since I have so many credits already that I don't think an undergraduate program would help me much at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Right now, I'm looking at BU MAMS and Temple primarily but also possibly JHU HSI? I was also looking at Georgetown but I read some not so appealing things about their program after searching them up on SDN. Would you think I would have a shot at making it to these programs?

Even though DO might be a better option for me and would make me a physician all the same, I have my heart set on an MD program even though it might not be the most realistic. The reason I would like to do an SMP program is to show I am prepared for the rigor in medical school even though my undergraduate stats might not say so.

As a side question as well, if I were to get into an SMP program, would it be advisable to just take the one year and apply while I am in the program so as to matriculate into medical school the following fall or just take another year to work and apply? The former option would of course be assuming I work my ass to the bone for one year and do well in the program.

Here are a few parts of my app that I think are relevant:

Major: Molecular, Cellular, & Developmental Biology
Minor: Spanish

Year BCPM AO Total
GPA Hours GPA Hours GPA Hours
Freshman 2.85 19.80 3.17 5.90 2.92 25.70
Sophomore 2.61 22.00 1.78 7.30 2.40 29.30
Junior 2.99 20.10 3.84 18.50 3.40 38.60
Senior 2.98 21.40 3.55 27.10 3.30 48.50

Total 2.85 83.30 3.38 58.80 3.07 142.10

MCAT Total Chem/Phys CARS Bio/Biochem Psych/Soc
505 124 127 126 128

If everything were to continue as I am doing right now until 08/21 -
Clinical Experience - 3340 + 220 = 3560 hours between 2 CNA jobs, 1 during my freshman year in college and the other since graduating in 2019.
Shadowing Experience - 40 hours in rural medicine
Research Experience - 250 hours over 1 year
Volunteer - 12 hours on a surgical mission trip abroad
Intercollegiate Athletics - 850 hours being on the Boxing team for 2 years
Non-Medical - 800 hours as a server at a restaurant over 2 years
AAMC
BCPM | AO | Total

Freshman
GPA | Hours | GPA | Hours | GPA | Hours
2.85 | 19.80 | 3.17 | 5.90 | 2.92 | 25.70

Sophomore
2.61 | 22.00 | 1.78 | 7.30 | 2.40 | 29.30

Junior
2.99 | 20.10 | 3.84 | 18.50 | 3.40 | 38.60

Senior
2.98 | 21.40 | 3.55 | 27.10 | 3.30 | 48.50

Total
2.85 | 83.30 | 3.38 | 58.80 | 3.07 | 142.10

MCAT
Total | Chem/Phys | CARS | Bio/Biochem | Psych/Soc
505 | 124 | 127 | 126 | 128

Sorry the stats format got screwy when I posted. I also think the programs would put me in a great spot to retake the MCAT right after finishing the SMP.
I would suggest a post baccalaureate program to raise your GPA and a retake of the MCAT. An SMP might work but should be your last resort, honestly.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are dead-set on MD, you need to retake your MCAT and get it over 510. For DO, your MCAT is ok.

Post-bac or SMP will serve you well (and are needed), but I suggest post-bac to raise your GPA as these are usually less expensive and can get you to the same position.

Thank you tentacles and BoneDoctah for your replies! I really appreciate it!

When you guys mention a post-bac program, would you recommend one in maybe a community college or just a DIY. I have 214 graded credits attempted at my University (on a quarterly system) with the average person graduating with around 180 credits. Would you guys still think it's worth doing a post-bac even if it moves my GPA just a little bit if at all, assuming I can get stellar grades? If I got a 4.0 in an 18 credit quarter, my cumulative would go up to 3.14 from a 3.07.

After some quick math, I calculated I would need to 4.0 about 181 credits to raise my GPA to 3.5. At a full load that would be 10 quarters. Or am I overthinking this too much? I've read that GPA trend is also very important so how many quarters would it be typical that you guys are familiar with for a post-bac to work despite all my credits and not reaching a 3.5.

Also, besides the cost, is there something else about an SMP that should make it my last resort that I might get blindsided by? I have read it's highly rigorous along with the steep cost and of course, matriculation nor an interview is not always guaranteed.

As Goro stated it’s not about the exact number of your GPA. It’s about the post bac GPA. If you go and get a 4.0 on a year of courses it will show that you have changed and can succeed in medical school courses (along with a good MCAT).

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for all the help!

Would it be advisable to take these classes at a community college or would it be better at my state school? Is there a major difference between a DIY or a more structured post-bac program from a community college? I saw Goro's guide which helped me a lot. Given how my major had already required me to take about half of the list of recommended classes on that guide I should take, would you recommend putting an emphasis on retaking those classes to improve my scores on those classes or on taking the other higher level classes I have not taken yet?
Advisable at a 4-year but can be done at a CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.