Should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I currently have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA, but that includes 3 or 4 retakes. I'm a bio major and am graduating next semester. I took the MCAT and got a fairly balanced 29. I am going to apply broadly but I really AZCOM in part due to their location. I'm thinking about applying to AZCOM and/or Touro-NV's SMP, just to give me an edge in admissions and to pass the time, because the thought of working at my mundane job for another year, full time, is pretty depressing. I am currently shadowing and doing ER volunteer work (the latter I will have been doing for about 10 months when I apply). I guess I have three questions:

1) Should I even be looking at an SMP or am I competitive as is?

2) If I do an SMP, would schools prefer that I wait until I complete it to apply?

3) If I do apply when I start the SMP, would schools likely delay my app until they see my first semester grades?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

You are pretty competitive. Not rocking, but close. I would apply day one and broadly and you should get in. Your mcat is really good for DO.

I have the same exact stats as you except I have no retakes and a 28 on my MCAT. I worried that my numbers were low, but I also have really good activities and letters of rec. I got 7 interview invites, so I think that you'll be fine if your activities are solid. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do an SMP; unnecessary debt for your stats for DO school (if you are hardcore MD, do an SMP) Maybe retake another class or two. SMPs won't give you much of an advantage really if you're within the average accepted stats (also bombing in a SMP will kill you).

Apply early next year, like right when the application opens up. Have everything ready (transcripts, LORs, etc). Work your deadend job for another year, saving up as much money as you possibly can. Throw a $450,000 crack party.

Also go to Europe or on vacation before matriculating into medical school.

DO=good; smp not advised
MD=fairly low smp advised

Bombing SMP destroys your chances and your wallet.

I'm going to repeat the question with which I started this thread, since I am now graduated and have an actual AACOMAS GPA, and so on.

I have a 3.19 sGPA, and 3.46 cGPA, and a balanced 29 on the MCAT. I have a handful of W's on my transcript, all of them from more than two years ago and all but one of them from a single semester when I withdrew from school for medical reasons. I don't have the best upward trend in the world, with 1 C my last semester and 1 D in the last 1.5 years. I have quite a few retakes, including on my prereqs.
I feel like an underdog, but the feedback I have gotten on the underdog thread is that I am an above-average applicant. There is at least one SMP at a DO school still taking applications. Does your advice not to do an SMP still hold? My EC's are average at beat.

1) Should I even be looking at an SMP or am I competitive as is?

2) If I do an SMP, would schools prefer that I wait until I complete it to apply?

3) If I do apply when I start the SMP, would schools likely delay my app until they see my first semester grades?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
same answer (only with more emphasis with that average cGPA and above average MCAT). enjoy the application season and good luck.

and I felt like an underdog, but I definitely wasn't.

same answer (only with more emphasis with that average cGPA and above average MCAT). enjoy the application season and good luck.

and I felt like an underdog, but I definitely wasn't.

Thanks, Frky. It must be something about filling out AACOMAS and laying all your bad grades out in plain sight. It can get discouraging.

I'm going to repeat the question with which I started this thread, since I am now graduated and have an actual AACOMAS GPA, and so on.

I have a 3.19 sGPA, and 3.46 cGPA, and a balanced 29 on the MCAT. I have a handful of W's on my transcript, all of them from more than two years ago and all but one of them from a single semester when I withdrew from school for medical reasons. I don't have the best upward trend in the world, with 1 C my last semester and 1 D in the last 1.5 years. I have quite a few retakes, including on my prereqs.
I feel like an underdog, but the feedback I have gotten on the underdog thread is that I am an above-average applicant. There is at least one SMP at a DO school still taking applications. Does your advice not to do an SMP still hold? My EC's are average at beat.
SMP is a waste of time. It's a lot better to just do grade replacement in your case. If you have had about a 3.4 sGPA (probably retaking 3-4 more classes), you'd be competitive at ALL osteopathic programs in the country. Right now things are favorable, but still could go either way on the pickier schools