Should I drop a class in Fall 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of dropping a class so I'm not overwelmed, but I'm not sure if I should, and if I decide to, which one would be best to drop. As a heads up, I am president of my own club, officer in honors, research, hospital volunteering, and will be studying for the MCAT so I'll probably end up needing to drop something.

I'm taking (with credits beside)

microbiology (4)
genetics (3)
biochemisty (3)
tragedies of technology (3, have to take it for honors)
seven deadly sins (3)

Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what you can do, and how hard these classes are at your Undergrad. Don't let your grades slip if you don't have to.

Yea, they're ok at my school but I'm just not too certain. If I do drop a class, which do you think would be best?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would drop Biochem if I had to do one. Others seem alright.

Eh, I'd say this is right on the edge between a hard semester and a potentially fatal semester. I think 3 math/science classes at once is just about the max I'd ever do, but considering that you also have MCAT studying, I think I'd consider dropping one of the sciences, probably whichever one you can take later most easily.

What is "Seven Deadly Sins"? It seems the most logicial candidate if you don't need it for graduation. Don't drop Biochem, as it's very important for first-year med school. Second choice: I'd take out the Microbiology, as it's easier in med school and you won't likely take it until second year anyway. Maybe you could audit it for awhile until you're getting snowed under by other responsibilities.

What is "Seven Deadly Sins"? It seems the most logicial candidate if you don't need it for graduation. Don't drop Biochem, as it's very important for first-year med school. Second choice: I'd take out the Microbiology
I agree with this.

Thanks for the good advice. Seven Deadly Sins is a religion class (sort of), not too sure what it is yet, but I hear it's really good (thought about dropping this since it's not needed in my major). I was really considering dropping microbiology. I could take it in the spring, and I just want to make sure I have enough time to study and I think the 3 sciences might be a bit overkill, any thoughts?

I think the 3 sciences might be a bit overkill, any thoughts?
It would be good practice for med school. J/K, as you don't want to take a risk of not getting great grades this late in the game. All three classes are memorization-intense, and that gets pretty boring.

I think since biochem (possibly in some way) and genetics will help in the mcat (not sure about micro), I may just drop micro and take it in the spring