1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Should I drop a class to give me more time and save my 4.0?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by noMDPHDsucks, Mar 8, 2007.

1. noMDPHDsucks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all, I need some advice on this...

I've just been accepted to med school...and i might get my first B in a 3 credit class since i've been absent too many times for interviews and traveling. SHould I drop it to save my GPA? ALso that would give me more time traveling to my new school and preparing for housing etc?

On the other hand, do you guys think that would matter if i get a B? I'm going to med school and do ppl still look at your undergrad grades (provided that I would graduate with the highest honor anyways) when u are applying for residency?

Appreciate your help! THanks!:thumbup:

2. tdd340

tdd340 Assistant to the sensei
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The B in undergrad will have ablsolutely ZERO bareing on any future plans you may have.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    give me a break

give me a break

break me off a piece of that kit kat bar.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

is the class required for you to graduate? if not, why did you sign up for it to begin with?

if it's not required, and you'll save your 4.0, and you'll have more time to travel, drop that ****.

oh, and i'm pretty sure your undergrad grades aren't even asked for when applying for residencies.

5. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

I'm guessing this is a joke. It's subtle, but it's hard for me to beleive that anyone lives up to the obsessive stereotype that the above sentiment exemplifies.

Nevertheless, in the interest of the possibility that you may be sincere, I offer the following advice:

No one should get a 4.0 (except geniuses--who would still pull down a 4.0 no matter how many classes they skipped, even if attendance was mandatory). For that reason alone, I recommend that you stick it out and plant that beautiful B on your transcript. It shows humanity. It might even help you during residency applications, because they will note that you actually relaxed a little bit after getting accepted to medical school--conclusive proof that you are not the robot they suspect.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Engin

Engin Senior Member
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Yeah, drop it.

It has no bearing on med school, but you might miss out on some awards if your GPA drops a bit (as normally competition is neck and neck for hightest gpa, scholarships, etc.)

A friend in high scholl had a 4.0 going into his last semester, got into his dream school, and finished the last semester with a couple B's. No validictorian or salutarian for him. It might seems trivial, but you might as well go all out, if only to give somehting more to your parents.

7. Darksmurf

7+ Year Member

Doesn't it strike you that dropping a class in which your grades are slipping does not quite fall within the rubric of 'go all out'? Perhaps this should be rephrased:

"It might seem trivial, but you might as well run like a scared [expletive deleted] from any hint of failure--even if it means hoofing your pansy ass away from the first signs of adversity--if only to give something more to your parents."

Plus, withdrawing still plants a big fat W on your transcript. Try explaining that one. How does this sound:

"I was going to get a B because of all my interviewing, and I got scared, and I withdrew."

8. OP
    OP
    noMDPHDsucks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! And I'm sincere....it's not required for graduation but I thought I would like enjoy (virology) but I'm just absent too often.....

Yeah, about the humanity side.....i have heard of ppl saying a 4.0 suggests robotic personality and perfectionist character......which may be a red flag for schools, employers etc......

As far as how to explain the W...I'm wondering if my answer would be acceptable if I tell them about myself being really too busy with med school stuff so I decided to drop it?

9. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why the (insert favorite expletive here) do you care about your undergrad GPA if you're already on your way to med school? Even those very few Residency Directors that are sufficiently obsessive-compulsive to look at undergrad transcripts are ever so unlikely to care about a 4.0 vs. a 3.9x GPA. Djeeez, gimme a brake!

10. student101

student101 Member
    10+ Year Member

If I see any more threads like this one, I'm gonna stop frequenting this website. Gag me! :barf:

11. thebeatblitz

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you on a credit overload this semester? If you are (and I have no idea why you would want to senior year), drop it. Who cares, and it preserves a 4.0. If you are on a regular course load, I don't know. Frankly, I don't think anyone is going to care if your undergrad GPA was 3.95 instead of 4.00, but depending on how your school does its calculations for final class rank, you might want to drop it for valedictorian etc. It's up to you.

12. OP
    OP
    noMDPHDsucks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking 16 credits, so if i drop it i would be taking 13 credits...

13. nabeel76

nabeel76 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dude who cares about all the other s--t drop it simply for the reason that you will have more time to enjoy yourself. After all you did already get into med school, also you might not have too many relaxing days ahead of you once med school starts. Whats the other alternative bust your ass off in the class to keep you from getting a C?

Also I wouldn't worry about a W on your transcript or a B for that matter no med school is going to question you on either of those.

14. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Yeah, that wouldn't fly. How could you be so busy with med school stuff when you're not even in medical school yet? There are reasons to withdraw, but saving your precious 4.0 isn't it. That just looks lame.

15. Chinorean

Chinorean Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I had a W before I got accepted into med school and no one ever asked me about it in my interviews. I'm pretty sure undergrad grades never come up again, just like no one cares what your SAT/ACT/MCAT scores are. Anyways, you might surprise yourself and do better than a B.

16. Allie86

Allie86 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a 4.0 until the semester right before I applied to Med school when I got an A- (ya I cried a bit heh). Anyhow, my friend who took the same classes as I did (yes every single one), got an A in that particular class and finished off with a 4.0. She has research-- I don't, it bores me.. and on paper pretty much everything else we're equal.
    Fastforward a few months, I'd gone on several interviews and been accepted on Oct 15, she has yet to get an invite.

So my point is, I really do think that there's a sort of stigma attached to the 4.0, I'll never forget this one professor I had for several classes that told me second semester of freshman year to let one A go so I can actually start learning. Too bad it took me so long to listen to him. I relaxed 2nd semester of junior year during my MCATs thanks to that fatal A- (joke ;) ) Had an awesome time in my classes, ended up pulling all As anyway without even trying.

Now I'm a senior, my poor transcript got a couple Bs last semester (almost a C too man haha), and frankly, I love my impperfect GPA. It's true.. shows that I'm human, and have finally stopped learning for that elusive A.
    :)

17. OP
    OP
    noMDPHDsucks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At one of my interviews, an MD interviewer said, "Oh you have a 4.0, awesome!"

18. Allie86

Allie86 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well.. then there's that. But mine makes a better story :D

19. searun

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I blame the OP. I really liked my left testicle.

20. Allie86

Allie86 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right one not measuring up?

21. mjos22

mjos22 Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I kind of have a similar concern....am I just as insane?

I currently have a cumulative gpa of ~3.9, but I'm taking a genetics course right now thats kinda rockin my world. (Unfortunately, too late to drop it). I've already been accepted to med school, but if I get a 3.0 in this class, are adcoms gonna give me ****, thinking I slacked in my last semester (even though this isn't the case)? Or will they just look at my cumulative gpa, which will still be above a 3.85?

I haven't gotten a 3.0 before either, so thats why I thought they might give me a hard time.

22. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Before you drop/withdraw, check the details of your acceptance. Many med schools make acceptance conditional on satisfactory completion of your current coursework (generally agreed to mean at least a C).

23. Crazy4F1

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    to the OP...why not just pass/fail it? then you can show up whenever is convenient for you, and keep the 4.0. at my school you can declare pass fail way into the semester, so this could still be an option?

24. Kashala

Kashala Congo's Son
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello to World not all premeds have 3.7 plus gpa's I transfered schools so I am gonna graduate summa cum laude my schools gpa is like a 3.7 ish just that amcas calculator thing has its own numbers mixed with my former institution, but I will always be able to say summa cum laude highest honor. I am always in the top half of my class I wonder if med schools like upenn which I am seriously considering where the gpa is like 3.8 or harvard if it is taught at an insane pace like AP compared to regular pace, when compared to other medical schools where the gpa average might be 3.4 or something. Keep in mind the difference between an A or B is often motivation uts not based on essentialismwith exceptions? :laugh:

25. sejin8642

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  26. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    *Sunny practicing deep breathing so she won't call the OP a dirty name*

Sweet Jebus! You're in. Relax!

27. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Now that you are in, you should relax a bit. Perhaps do things that you have never done before... like talking to a girl.

28. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    get a life bud

29. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

30. Darksmurf

7+ Year Member

I sense some envy from you two.

God cares. God most certainly cares.

31. drc243

drc243 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First of all I agree with the other people that a 3.98 GPA looks better than a 4.0.
    If you have a 4.0 throughout college it kinda shows that you never really struggled throughout college that everything came very easy to you.
    Second and most importantly med schools will look at a withdraw during your final semester very unfavorably. A withdraw basicly says to med schools that I would have gotten a D or worse if i continued and finished the class.
    So stick it out and show others that you are human.

Best,
    Dave