1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I drop English and take only 3 classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lunasly, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lunasly

5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

This upcoming Fall I plan to take:

Genetics w/ Lab
    Physiology I w/ Lab
    Cell Biology I w/ Lab
    Academic Writing (first year English class).

This is a total of 15 credits (as labs are 0 credits b/c they are integrated with the lecture credits).

Upper-level students have told me that Cell Biology and Physiology are quite difficult as there is plenty to memorize and learn. Genetics I heard is moderate, but you still have to work quite hard to achieve an A+. Academic Writing is apparently a piece of cake.

I also volunteer at 4 different organizations for about 9 - 10 hours a week.

Do you think this is manageable? Am I just being a little bitch? LOL

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

You should be good, all these classes require memorization and understanding how it works etc. Your good to go

4. calimeds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This, my friend, is a stupid question, for the following reason:

No one here knows how smart you are - both in terms of your fluid intelligence (raw reasoning ability) and how fast you can memorize - and how disciplined you are.

Only YOU know that information.

Have you taken a crapload of AP's before, rocking the A+ in all of them and scoring 5's on the AP exam? Yes? Then go for this load. No? Then don't.

If you're not a good writer already then to get an A in your English class it may take more time than your other classes combined.

If you don't have solid answers to these questions don't f*cking risk it dude - take the lighter load, get those A's. If it was too easy - then next quarter/semester add more.

Don't think you need to display your academic balls to prove anything to anyone about how tough you are.

No one gives a **** if you're a bitch or not - what matters is your GPA son.

Good luck.

5. calimeds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You will impress NO ONE with a tough load full of less than A's.

6. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    That's what she said...

SORRY, sorry...I have a problem...

Anyway, OP, three lab classes in a semester is tough. I didn't find genetics difficult at all, but cell bio was a LOT of memorization and physiology is tough (from what I hear, I didn't take this one). If the English class is as easy as you say it is, I don't see why you shouldn't tack it on. But if it's one of those classes that's easy and time-consuming, you might reconsider it.

7. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    OMG...Jesus...is that you??

8. V5RED

V5RED MS-1
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    All your A+ grades will show up as an A on your application to medical school(ie the plus doesn't count), so I would not worry about that.

As long as you can manage A's in these classes you are fine.

9. PremedGunner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    a

#8 PremedGunner, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. PremedGunner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#9 PremedGunner, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  11. Lunasly

5+ Year Member

I appreciate the straightforward answer without any sugar coating. :p I should first start off and mention that I am a fairly strong student in that I currently have a 3.9 GPA after completing my first year.

I have never taken any AP classes. I am also from Canada so I will obviously be applying to Canadian Medical Schools. The thing about schools here is that on top of having a high GPA, there are also strict course load requirements. By taking a full course load ( 30 credits a year ) I will be eligible to apply to most of the schools here (there aren't many) as well as have the advantage where my academic standing will be calculated with a weighted formula that only those with 30 credits a year are eligible for. I, of course, can take the hit and not take 30 credits a year (I haven't so far in my first year) and just aim at a very high GPA.