1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I drop English and take only 3 classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lunasly, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lunasly

5+ Year Member

Hey guys,

This upcoming Fall I plan to take:

Genetics w/ Lab
    Physiology I w/ Lab
    Cell Biology I w/ Lab
    Academic Writing (first year English class).

This is a total of 15 credits (as labs are 0 credits b/c they are integrated with the lecture credits).

Upper-level students have told me that Cell Biology and Physiology are quite difficult as there is plenty to memorize and learn. Genetics I heard is moderate, but you still have to work quite hard to achieve an A+. Academic Writing is apparently a piece of cake.

I also volunteer at 4 different organizations for about 9 - 10 hours a week.

Do you think this is manageable? Am I just being a little bitch? LOL

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

You should be good, all these classes require memorization and understanding how it works etc. Your good to go

4. calimeds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This, my friend, is a stupid question, for the following reason:

No one here knows how smart you are - both in terms of your fluid intelligence (raw reasoning ability) and how fast you can memorize - and how disciplined you are.

Only YOU know that information.

Have you taken a crapload of AP's before, rocking the A+ in all of them and scoring 5's on the AP exam? Yes? Then go for this load. No? Then don't.

If you're not a good writer already then to get an A in your English class it may take more time than your other classes combined.

If you don't have solid answers to these questions don't f*cking risk it dude - take the lighter load, get those A's. If it was too easy - then next quarter/semester add more.

Don't think you need to display your academic balls to prove anything to anyone about how tough you are.

No one gives a **** if you're a bitch or not - what matters is your GPA son.

Good luck.

5. calimeds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You will impress NO ONE with a tough load full of less than A's.

6. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    That's what she said...

SORRY, sorry...I have a problem...

Anyway, OP, three lab classes in a semester is tough. I didn't find genetics difficult at all, but cell bio was a LOT of memorization and physiology is tough (from what I hear, I didn't take this one). If the English class is as easy as you say it is, I don't see why you shouldn't tack it on. But if it's one of those classes that's easy and time-consuming, you might reconsider it.

7. TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    OMG...Jesus...is that you??

8. V5RED

V5RED MS-1
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    All your A+ grades will show up as an A on your application to medical school(ie the plus doesn't count), so I would not worry about that.

As long as you can manage A's in these classes you are fine.

9. PremedGunner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    a

#8 PremedGunner, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. PremedGunner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#9 PremedGunner, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  11. Lunasly

5+ Year Member

I appreciate the straightforward answer without any sugar coating. :p I should first start off and mention that I am a fairly strong student in that I currently have a 3.9 GPA after completing my first year.

I have never taken any AP classes. I am also from Canada so I will obviously be applying to Canadian Medical Schools. The thing about schools here is that on top of having a high GPA, there are also strict course load requirements. By taking a full course load ( 30 credits a year ) I will be eligible to apply to most of the schools here (there aren't many) as well as have the advantage where my academic standing will be calculated with a weighted formula that only those with 30 credits a year are eligible for. I, of course, can take the hit and not take 30 credits a year (I haven't so far in my first year) and just aim at a very high GPA.