Should I drop genetics and take a "W" (urgent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this would be my first W. But isnt a W equivalent to an F in sone adcoms eyes? I only have a few hours left to drop

Members don't see this ad :)
this would be my first W. But isnt a W equivalent to an F in sone adcoms eyes? I only have a few hours left to drop

I really don't think that's the case at all. I have more than one W, and I just got accepted.

Take the W simply because it won't impact your GPA. I understand that it is easy to be concerned about these little things, but if the rest of your app is up to snuff, then something like this won't matter one bit.

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel so crappy about this whole situation...I'll now be a little behind some of my friends if I drop.

At my school, a W doesn't count toward your GPA, it just shows you registered for a class and dropped sometime before the withdrawal deadline. If withdrawing allows you to focus more on your other classes and not have to work your ass off to get a C, I say go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I feel so crappy about this whole situation...I'll now be a little behind some of my friends if I drop.

Bro, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I took multiple gap years after college before getting accepted today, and when I was a senior about to graduate, a lot of my peers were getting into all sorts of medical schools. I felt behind and more than a little depressed.

As difficult as this is, it is important to not compare yourself to your peers! You WILL get there!

Yeah it sucks, but don't think about your friends here just think about presenting the strongest application to AdComs. Take the W.

Bro, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I took multiple gap years after college before getting accepted today, and when I was a senior about to graduate, a lot of my peers were getting into all sorts of medical schools. I felt behind and more than a little depressed.

As difficult as this is, it is important to not compare yourself to your peers! You WILL get there!
Congrats on the acceptance! and thanks for the perspective. It does suck very much...I will feel very embarrassed if I drop thats for sure. But it seems like the consensus is to drop and take a W for the sake of my gpa...ughhh this is so depressing

Congrats on the acceptance! and thanks for the perspective. It does suck very much...I will feel very embarrassed if I drop thats for sure. But it seems like the consensus is to drop and take a W for the sake of my gpa...ughhh this is so depressing

Check your PM for an extra dose of reassurance!

Definitely go for W. As an already graduated student I can't tell you how much I wish I had done that during my first semester when I ABSOLUTELY KNEW I was overwhelmed.

If someone does ask later you can be honest and say that you struggled but ultimately wanted to be able to learn it well.

Also genetics is pretty high yield mcat stuff so make sure you take the class when you can actually learn the material.

Reactions: 1 users
How much better (if at all) does changing to Pass/Fail and then getting a "Pass" look than just getting a W?

Don't worry about it. I'm like a year behind most Bio majors/premed. I had to reevaluate my studying, but in the end I saved myself a lot of bad grades. :D

Hey guys im a junior and have 3.4gpa. Currently taking Genetics, we have two exams 100points each and one final thats 200pts, final grade out of 400. I completely bombed the first exam and got a 66 and we just had our second one and I dont think I did any better maybe a C if im lucky. That being said should I withdraw and get a W or study hard for the final and hope for a C maybe low B? what looks worse a W or a C?

I dropped my genetics class after getting a 42/100 on the first genetics test and the class average was lower then my score.

I don't have time to play games with my genetics professor and somehow pretend like I actually give a **** about genetics. I have much bigger problems to worry about, while also juggling other hard classes like biochem ....

You'll be fine bro, A>B> W > C...I did a lot of research like you before dropping genetics because just like you it was the first class I ever dropped. FEELSGOOD BRO. DO IT! After a certain point you have to evaluate the amount of time your putting in vs the grade your getting. (NOT AN EXCUSE TO GIVE UP)

Reactions: 1 user
Take the W. It's not that big a deal. Don't feel bad for being "behind" your friends. You do what you need to do to succeed.