Should I Drop My Current Volunteer Position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently debating whether to drop a hospital volunteer position I have (of which I have about 150 hrs in) in favor of maybe finding a new position or getting some more shadowing done. I currently feel like I have gotten as much as I can get out of it experience wise, and feel I could better devote that time to either studying or putting in more shadowing hours and feel a little bit overextended. I currently also have an additional 50 clinic hours, 15 shadowing, 120 non-medical, two leadership roles, and 200 research hours. I also did an overseas 4 week medical trip (planning to do work overseas after I become a doc and wanted to get a feel for it). At the same time I worry the hours I have might be too low. I am currently a second semester sophomore with a 4.0 (which I expect to drop a tad before I apply next year). I guess I just wanted a second opinion, what do y'all think? If I dropped it in favor of strengthening my app elsewhere would I be ok? Or would I look like I didn't commit enough? I am keeping the rest of my positions and expect those hours to go up before I apply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would be okay.

The main purpose of clinical volunteering is to gain experience in the medical field and make sure that medicine is really what you want to do.

If you feel like you aren't gaining anything from the volunteer work anymore, then it really isn't fulfilling its main purpose and you should find another position so that you can keep learning.

I think that having multiple experiences will also be beneficial for interviews, because if you aren't learning anything at this point, what are you going to talk about during the interviews?

Reactions: 1 user