Should I drop OChem Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuneT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my background: I have a bachelor's degree in computer science. During undergrad I took general chemistry and physics, but didn't take ochem or biology. I took biology and ochem 1 at a community college in Colorado Springs. I know that many people don't recommend taking prereqs at a CC, but it was the only local school that offered them in the evening. I'm in the military and I had to move before I could take ochem 2.

I'm currently enrolled in ochem 2 lecture (3 credits) and lab (1 credit) at a 4 year school. They are 2 different classes. I'm already feeling overwhelmed working 40+ hours a week in addition to switching between night shift (6pm-6am) and day shift (6am-6pm) and trying to take ochem 2 lecture and lab. I'm estimating that I will have to spend 6-10 hours a week on lab to complete pre-lab, class, and post-lab. If I drop the lab I will get a W. Would you recommend dropping the lab and taking it later if I will do better in the lecture? Will this look bad on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Not if you can give a good explanation, and it seems you can. Be prepared for questions about your ability to handle a large workload, since doctors tend to do that.

Keep in mind also that most med schools I've seen require that lab. If you drop it now, you're likely going to have to do it later.

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on taking the lab next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some med schools let you substitute Biochem for Ochem II, so if you target those schools, you may not necessarily need to repeat.

I'd drop the lab too. Getting a higher grade in the class is more important than having a W on the transcript (though it may be early enough to drop without getting a W at some places).

Ochem lab is just a lot of math and writing. Anyway, if you do decide to drop something, make sure you don't get a W, or, if you do, make sure you blame the military for it ;p

It really depends on whether that 7-10 hours will get absorbed into work and life, or if it will truly contribute to improving your grade in lecture. If it means a "W" I would probably suck it up and lose the extra sleep for a few months to do well in both. Is it possible to reign in the work hours instead or make up the time in other areas???

Unfortunately it isn't possible to change my work hours. I am still on active duty and work in a watch center that is 24x7. The lab is on Wednesday nights until 10:30, then I have to drive about 40-45 minutes to get home and I leave for work at 4:30ish on Thursday mornings (when on day shift). I can go without some sleep, but I don't think I can study well if I'm always tired.