Should I drop one of these classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I am currently only taking 3 classes (for a grade) in my senior year of undergrad. I don't know why I was being stupid this year, but I really underperformed. I am getting a B in biochemistry, and an A- in an elective science course (evolution). These classes are both 8 credits, and the other class I am taking is just a lab (1 credit) which I am getting an A in. Do you think I should drop biochemistry? Will this semester look really bad for me especially given its my senior year? I'm taking gap years so these grades were me just being dumb, not like I got an II and then lazy or something. The only other course I ever got a B in was chem 2 and I am extremely disappointed in myself. Furthermore, I got an A- in both Organic chem 1 and 2, so I have really been feeling like I may have ruined my chances for med school.

My only excuse for underperforming this semester is that I was heavily involved with my research lab this semester and just got carried away investing too much time in it.

for perspective, I am an ORM, and my overall GPA for AMCAS at the end of the semester should be 3.91, and BCPM is 3.85.

TMDSAS overall is 3.94, and BCPM is 3.90.

Members don't see this ad.

You are waaay overthinking this! Don’t drop anything, finish the semester, and move on.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you need biochemistry to help study for the MCAT?
you do, so I was considering dropping it this semester in hopes of getting an A- or A next semester. I'm not taking the MCAT for a while

I agree with @LunaOri
Finish out all your classes and those grades sound like something to be proud of, to me!
Thanks for both of your responses. I've felt so terrible about my grades I've just been constantly vomiting from the stress. I don't have a very strong resume/or accomplishments in things like research (I do wetlab research but do not expect any publications, etc), so I felt like my GPA was my only strength. But rn, as a TX resident, I still feel really crappy because I'm afraid my lower GPA will cause me to get screened out before I even get a chance, and I feel like me getting an A- in ochem 1 and 2 in my junior year and now this in my senior year shows a downward trend as though I'm slacking or something.

Thanks for both of your responses. I've felt so terrible about my grades I've just been constantly vomiting from the stress. I don't have a very strong resume/or accomplishments in things like research (I do wetlab research but do not expect any publications, etc), so I felt like my GPA was my only strength. But rn, as a TX resident, I still feel really crappy because I'm afraid my lower GPA will cause me to get screened out before I even get a chance, and I feel like me getting an A- in ochem 1 and 2 in my junior year and now this in my senior year shows a downward trend as though I'm slacking or something.
What do you think is the cutoff GPA? I think you are definitely in good shape, but you need to be networking or getting more informed about the Texas schools. Catch up on as many podcasts or webinars from TXHES over holiday break.

Last edited:
What do you think is the cutoff GPA? I think you are definitely on good shape but you need to be networking or getting more informed about the Texas schools. Catch up on as many podcasts or webinars from TXHES over holiday break.
Thanks, I'll do that. I thought that the cutoff for science gpa for schools like UTSW is like 3.85+, and also as an Asian I figured my GPA would need to be even more competitive.

pm'd you

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I'll do that. I thought that the cutoff for science gpa for schools like UTSW is like 3.85+, and also as an Asian I figured my GPA would need to be even more competitive.
That is the median GPA. By definition half of the matriculants will have a GPA that is lower.

Do not drop a class when you are getting a B.

Just some encouragement, don't let yourself feel too gloomy about your grades. You are doing fine! And don't let factors that are out of your control cloud your focus. You've got this.