Should I drop or stay??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenya23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Organic Chem I this semester... I'm currently making a low C. There's a possibility I can MAYBE bring it up to a B. by the end but that is a SLIGHT chance. I already have 1 C from Chem 1515.. should I stick out O chem this semester or drop with a W and retake it next semester with a better chance??? Help!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

idk if this helps but i have two C+'s on my application. One for bio and one for A&P and i still have 4 interviews ATM. But i do have A's im most other science classes.

kenya23, it really depends on the rest of your scores. What does your GPA look like otherwise? How many prereq classes have you dropped like this? (One or two is fine, but if it looks like a habit it doesn't look good.)

Have you identified the specific reasons for your performance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Organic Chem I this semester... I'm currently making a low C. There's a possibility I can MAYBE bring it up to a B. by the end but that is a SLIGHT chance. I already have 1 C from Chem 1515.. should I stick out O chem this semester or drop with a W and retake it next semester with a better chance??? Help!:eek:

My thoughts/concerns are the following:

If you were to drop the class, what would you do to ensure that what happened this semester wouldn't repeat itself next semester? Dropping a class isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it can set up a dangerous pattern. Having said that, if you think that you can drop the course, improve your understanding of the material and improve your grade next time, I don't think that it would be a major problem.

Also take these questions into your consideration before dropping the course. How are you doing compared to the rest of the class? Will this be the first W on your transcript?

I would start seeking helps from classmates or professor. Also, you need to go to every discussion and office hour that your professor and TA offer. You will get hints on what is on the exam.

HEy...
I also have a similar question, although I am already accepted into a pharmacy program, but am probably going to get a C in Physics due to interview travelling, and i have had a bad case of the flu (thank you flu shot). Should I just make sure i get at least a C, or should I just drop and try to retake it in the Spring? I'm afraid that if I get a C, they are going to rescind my offer. Thanks for any feedback.

I'm afraid that if I get a C, they are going to rescind my offer.

If you've been accepted already, there should be a minimum grade you're obligated to get in any remaining prereqs you need to take prior to matriculation. It's usually a C, unless they're requiring a specific GPA. Check with your school. Assuming a C will do ya, make sure you nail that C & get your prereqs done on time. You can't matriculate without all the prereqs.

I had multiple C's and not a single A on my transcript for science courses. I have been able to get 4 interviews so far and have already been accepted at Shenandoah for the class of 2016. However, I did receive a score of 95 on the PCAT and had some very unique pharmacy experience (working with informatics) and so that definitely must have helped.

With that said, my advice would be that if you have the option and time to retake the couse, you definitely should because I know I was stressing a lot over getting accepted with my terrible GPA.

I've already gotten into 3 schools. I am just concerned that they will revoke my acceptance if I get a C.

I had multiple C's and not a single A on my transcript for science courses. I have been able to get 4 interviews so far and have already been accepted at Shenandoah for the class of 2016. However, I did receive a score of 95 on the PCAT and had some very unique pharmacy experience (working with informatics) and so that definitely must have helped.

With that said, my advice would be that if you have the option and time to retake the couse, you definitely should because I know I was stressing a lot over getting accepted with my terrible GPA.

pvashi, if you dont mind me asking, what other schools did you apply to? I'm in the same boat as well.

I applied to a lot. I basically went through the pages of each school in PharmCAS and applied to all schools that had a minimum GPA requirement of 2.5. It ended up being about 52 schools (ridiculously expensive) but I just needed to get into one. So far I've gotten interviews at Shenandoah (Ashburn campus), Howard, University of New England, Concordia University in Wisconsin and Midway college in Kentucky.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want any more info.

If I were you, I would drop simply because I had that kind of decision before and made the wrong choice. I had a chance of bringing it up to a B but ended up dropping my low C to a D. ;___; I hope you make the right decision for yourself!

One option might be to stick it out, especially if you're definitely not going to end up with lower than a C. Then see how you do in O-Chem II next semester. Obviously this is going to depend on if you think you understand the material or not. That is, if you're getting a C because you don't know what's going on at all, you'll most likely do poorly in O-Chem II and should probably withdraw & re-take O-Chem I again to avoid having the same thing happen again in O-Chem II. However, if you just got off to a rough start but are understanding it now, or there's something else going on, and you think you know enough to go on to O-Chem II, then stick it out.

Getting a C in O-Chem I but an A in O-Chem II wouldn't be the worst thing, and you could always go back and take O-Chem I afterward if you still wanted to try to bring your GPA up (depending on what your school allows for re-takes).

Obviously there are a lot of factors to consider (such as how your other grades look, how many Ws you have already, and your school's policy on re-takes/grade replacement), so no one here can tell you what is best for your situation, but that's my 2 cents for something to consider.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'm going to drop it and take it next semester; after talking to several people and feedback from you guys - it just seemed like the best idea. Thanks!!!