Medical Should I drop out of Graduate School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering dropping a Masters's graduate program from a top private university. My reasons for dropping the program are:
  1. Since COVID 19, the program has been struggling to stay stable. The program is having difficulty supplying faculty to required core classes for the program. (This means that it may take longer to finish the program)
  2. My lab lost over $50,000 in funding and is considering cutting some students off. (It means that the lab I specifically joined the program for will no longer be available, and thus it makes me lose interest knowing id have to start a whole new project with a lab I know I wouldn't be interested in....)
  3. The program is considering going online for the Fall 2020 semester and may do so for the remainder of the semesters of the program. (I joined the program for the hands-on experience, and if the program is considering going to online I feel that I would rather do another online program due to the cost of attending a private university. It is also because I will be required to do a written thesis that has no type of hands-on research background - more of a literature review, and it is not something I wanted to do in the program. So overall, I am feeling like I am losing the lab experience I wanted to get out of the program.)
  4. Cost of the program, I currently pay $50,000 USD a semester to attend, and I feel with the way this program is going, I wouldn't want to further invest in such program.
So because of these reasons, I am thinking of dropping the Master's program, I only did one semester but I got straight A's in all my classes, and instead, going to apply for medical school. I am not worried about trying to publish a paper or anything like that - I already have publications from undergrad I have submitted to research journals. I also received the highest honors for my bachelor's degree and received a 4.0 (So I know I have the academic prowess). Thing is this is what I am afraid of. I am afraid that if I apply for medical school, they may consider I have a lack of commitment due to dropping the program, but I just feel like I lost interest in the program because of the situational circumstances and stability of the program. Also because I am unable to do research with the PI I have, which I feel is what motivates graduate students is doing research they like with a professor they want to do research with. Do you feel I would be able to discuss this issue in such a way to ADCOM Committees? I just feel like I may have ruined my chances to an extent....
How much shadowing have you done with physicians, and how much clinical experience and community service have you done? Have you taken the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I have done shadowing with 5 different physicians within different specialties (Psychology, pathology, internal medicine, vascular surgery, and infectious disease). I have volunteered at hospitals and did over 200 hours in the ICU helping out nurses. I also did minority volunteer work, helping out people picked up by ICE at churches with medical, food, and clothing needs during a summer internship. I have 3 medical minority internships (I am an Afro-Mexican). I volunteered at several high schools and middle schools playing with kids doing thinks like basketball, reading, etc. I have worked at hospitals doing blood work for patients in a lab with an MLS. I have also worked with individuals with intellectual disabilities doing such things as (medicine administration, showering, lifting, providing psychological advice, aiding in providing life goals for different milestones - It was more of a nursing assistant job). I am a veteran as well and did alot of overseas efforts in helping countries that were suffering from disease and poverty. Helping to build houses and give medication. I have not taken the MCAT yet, I have done a mock MCAT practice and scored a 490 w/o studying to see how it was structured.
Dump the program ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.