General Should I drop Physics (no W) to get a higher grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to take the first physics course of the physics series in summer to make my course load easier in fall. Since it was a summer session, it was only 5 weeks long instead of 10 weeks. I registered thinking I'd be able to get a good grade, but I ended with a B+, which lowers my GPA. Because of the COVID-19 situation, they are allowing us to drop with no W on our transcript as long as we do it before the deadline. I don't want to drop and retake the class, but I do want to get a better grade. I just feel like I was so close to an A, but I don't know if it's worth going through it all over again. The thing is there probably are easier professors, but there was only 1 in summer for this class and my professor changed things up just because it was online and made most exam questions FRQ as in we type in the answer to our calculation and submit that, so if we get it wrong, we lose all points and no partial credit is given since we don't turn in our work and each question was worth a lot of points so a small mistake literally did make a difference in overall grades. If he's doing FRQ obviously he should have partial credit/look at work, but in the end no health professional school will care how unfair or difficult the class was. I know B+ isn't a bad grade, but since we can drop with no W, there's a chance I could improve, but I don't know if it's worth wasting the effort I put into the summer class just for chance to raise my grade which isn't guaranteed that I will. It just worries me that I still have my 2nd-4th years of college left where I will take much harder classes like upper division courses and the rest of the physics series when I struggled a lot in the first one.
I don't know that there is a right answer. A B+ is not a bad grade, and if the rest of your GPA is great, one B+ does not rule you out for any schools, even the most prestigious. Particularly if the rest of your grades are A's, I think it's worthwhile not to repeat a course where you did well.

That being said, if getting a B+ is going to cause you more anxiety than repeating, go ahead and repeat the course. It sounds like you just want that A, and I think it's valid to do that if it means that much to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.