Should I drop research methods?? Professor is seriously insane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm in a fairly easy course called Introduction to Research Methods. The material is not difficult at all, however the professor is insane. We just had an exam and she gave man 80 even though I got every single answer right. She took off points for insane things, like not boxing my answer, work being messy, and writing the symbol for null hypothesis rather than writing it out. She marked the entire question wrong for these things!! I also just got a 78 on a problem set, albeit problem sets in total are only 10% of our grade. Exams are 40% (4 exams, 10% each).This material is really not hard and I 100% got everything right on that problem set...it was easy!!!!!!! I really on't think I'm going to get above a B+ in this class and I just feel so mortified. I have a really good GPA besides this class but what clinical psych program will accept me with a B in research methods?? It sucks because if I don't take this class I can't complete my minor in psych or take an experimental course next semester. What should I do?? Tomorrow is legit the last day to drop a class.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm in a fairly easy course called Introduction to Research Methods. The material is not difficult at all, however the professor is insane. We just had an exam and she gave man 80 even though I got every single answer right. She took off points for insane things, like not boxing my answer, work being messy, and writing the symbol for null hypothesis rather than writing it out. She marked the entire question wrong for these things!! I also just got a 78 on a problem set, albeit problem sets in total are only 10% of our grade. Exams are 40% (4 exams, 10% each).This material is really not hard and I 100% got everything right on that problem set...it was easy!!!!!!! I really on't think I'm going to get above a B+ in this class and I just feel so mortified. I have a really good GPA besides this class but what clinical psych program will accept me with a B in research methods?? It sucks because if I don't take this class I can't complete my minor in psych or take an experimental course next semester. What should I do?? Tomorrow is legit the last day to drop a class.

If your overall GPA is good, I don't think programs will be that concerned over a B/B+ in research methods.

ETA: If the fact that you withdrew will show up on your transcript, I imagine just taking the B would look better than withdrawing and taking it again later. I've never actually reviewed applications though, so this is just my opinion.

1. Can you meet the professor's standards from here on out (do what she wants, even if it's ridiculous)? If you can, despite the standards being ridiculous, you may still be able to achieve an A. She gave you feedback about what you did wrong in her view at least, so you can try to meet her expectations next time.
2. What is the other 50% of the class grade based on if 40% is tests and 10% is problem sets? Can you do well in whatever portion this is?
3. Have you spoken with the professor individually?
4. Is there another professor who teaches the same course at your college?

I would talk to your professor first and be curious and open about how to be successful in her class.

If it's too late to talk to her before the drop date ends and you don't think you can improve throughout the semester, you could drop the course, but a B+ shouldn't end your psychology career. Perhaps others could speak to whether a B+ would be damaging for graduate school applications, but I would say if your GPA is still high, a B+ in Research Methods may not ruin your chances, especially if you have solid GRE scores/letters of recommendation/research experience, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Can you meet the professor's standards from here on out (do what she wants, even if it's ridiculous)? If you can, despite the standards being ridiculous, you may still be able to achieve an A. She gave you feedback about what you did wrong in her view at least, so you can try to meet her expectations next time.
2. What is the other 50% of the class grade based on if 40% is tests and 10% is problem sets? Can you do well in whatever portion this is?
3. Have you spoken with the professor individually?
4. Is there another professor who teaches the same course at your college?

I would talk to your professor first and be curious and open about how to be successful in her class.

If it's too late to talk to her before the drop date ends and you don't think you can improve throughout the semester, you could drop the course, but a B+ shouldn't end your psychology career. Perhaps others could speak to whether a B+ would be damaging for graduate school applications, but I would say if your GPA is still high, a B+ in Research Methods may not ruin your chances, especially if you have solid GRE scores/letters of recommendation/research experience, etc.

We have online quizzes, which are easy. In class assignments, which are fine, I get 100s on them. And software assignments we do during discussion. I got a 95 on the first one but idk how I will do on the one I had Monday. I have such bad anxiety about this class; I just feel like the professor is going to give me whatever grade she wants.

We have online quizzes, which are easy. In class assignments, which are fine, I get 100s on them. And software assignments we do during discussion. I got a 95 on the first one but idk how I will do on the one I had Monday. I have such bad anxiety about this class; I just feel like the professor is going to give me whatever grade she wants.

It is frustrating when the grading criteria are unclear. It might be helpful to meet with the professor to try to get a better understanding of the grading criteria for exams and problem sets. If you still aren't able to get a good understanding of the criteria, I would definitely give that feedback on your course evaluation. I think ours actually have a separate question about whether "grading criteria are clear and understandable" or something like that.

It's definitely tough to have a professor who grades in a nitpicky way, but it sounds like you're doing well in other parts of the class, and you can use her feedback to improve your scores on exams/problem sets.
I would strongly suggest talking to her about it and sticking with it. It shows initiative on your part to talk to her, and shows her that you take your grades and responsibilities seriously.

If your final grade doesn't reflect your actual scores on assignments (i.e. she gives you a final grade based on a whim and not your scores), then that would be an ethical issue that you could complain to the department about.

Reactions: 1 user
It's definitely tough to have a professor who grades in a nitpicky way, but it sounds like you're doing well in other parts of the class, and you can use her feedback to improve your scores on exams/problem sets.
I would strongly suggest talking to her about it and sticking with it. It shows initiative on your part to talk to her, and shows her that you take your grades and responsibilities seriously.

If your final grade doesn't reflect your actual scores on assignments (i.e. she gives you a final grade based on a whim and not your scores), then that would be an ethical issue that you could complain to the department about.

Yeah I think I will make an appointment to speak with her.

Reactions: 1 user
If the professor had specified how they want things done it’s your responsibility to follow that. When I was a TA I absolutely took off points for things like you metioned. Part of being a good student include reading directions and following them. In all honesty I hated students who complained about being graded exactly as they were told they would be. If the professor hadn’t made it clear how they want things done, now you know for the future. If something this small is so upsetting to you I would be concerned how you would handle graduate school.

If the professor had specified how they want things done it’s your responsibility to follow that. When I was a TA I absolutely took off points for things like you metioned. Part of being a good student include reading directions and following them. In all honesty I hated students who complained about being graded exactly as they were told they would be. If the professor hadn’t made it clear how they want things done, now you know for the future. If something this small is so upsetting to you I would be concerned how you would handle graduate school.

* odd demonstrative pronoun use (that)
* missing comma (after subordinate clause in sentence 2)
* spelling error (mentioned)
* subject verb disagreement (part & include)
* missing comma (In all honesty; should probably be shortened to just an adverb [honestly])
* verb tense disagreement (hadn’t made clear & want things done)
* awkward sentence structure (sentences 4 and 5)
* missing comma (after subordinate clause in sentence 5)
* inappropriate use of hypothetical/subjunctive mood (sentence 5)

.. C-

OP, it sounds like the grading criteria being implemented are a little vague and arbitrary. I echo feedback from others that you should voice these concerns in your end of course evaluation and, in the meantime, make efforts to meet regularly with this instructor to gain clarity on course expectations. An isolated B shouldn’t tank your chances for graduate school but describing people as “seriously insane” might; I would refrain from that language in the future.

Last edited:
* odd demonstrative pronoun use (that)
* missing comma (after subordinate clause in sentence 2)
* spelling error (mentioned)
* subject verb disagreement (part; include)
* missing comma (In all honesty; should probably be shortened to just an adverb [honestly])
* verb tense disagreement (hadn’t made clear; want things done)
* awkward sentence structure (sentences 4 and 5)
* missing comma (after subordinate clause in sentence 5)
* inappropriate use of hypothetical/subjunctive mood (sentence 5)

.. C-

Looks like you're going to join me in getting blocked by artsyann

I have some seemingly arbitrary, “non-content” related standards for the assignments in some of my classes. These are frequently put in place to make standardized and consistent grading easier, and sometimes just ‘cause I like things to be that way because it makes the mst sense to me. Some students probably think it’s “seriously insane,” but it’s largely to avoid the “insanity” that comes from reading student submissions in multiple styles and formats. I find that parsimony is not a strength of students new to scientific prose, and without imposed structure it can be difficult at times to identify the correct response amongst the unneccesary “supporting material.”I’m the professor, and short of requiring incorrect responses, it’s my prerogative set standards for my class, and it’s the students responsibility to meet these standards. If you meet with the professor, I suggest approaching it from a slightly more self-deprecating position, along the lines of: “I think I have a good grasp of the material, but I’m not sure I’m doing a good job of conveying this in my writing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.” If she says to put the answer in a box and spell out terms rather than use symbols, thank her for the clarity, put the answers in box and spell out terms, and stop worrying about how one B+ will impact your chances at grad school (because it shouldn’t if everything else is good)! Good luck!

I had a perfect GPA in grad school until one of my last classes. I had earned A’s on all the assignments but when I checked my final grade, I have received a B. I politely asked the professor to help me understand why I recieved a B, he said, “I think you were a B student.”

I could have gone to the department chair and probably had it changed to an A, but there was something bigger to be learned. Sometimes life isn’t fair and we get marked down for things that have nothing to with us. I’ve had a pretty easy life so it was a good reminder of what it feels like to be screwed. Five years later, I’d much rather remember the power of that feeling than have an A in the class. If I ever see him again, I’d probably thank him for the lesson.

Last edited:
I had a perfect GPA in grad school until one of my last classes. I had earned A’s on all the assignments but when I checked my final grade, I have received a B. I politely asked the professor to help me understand why I recieved a B, he said, “I think you were a B student.”

I could have gone to the department chair and probably had it changed to an A, but there was something bigger to be learned. Sometimes life isn’t fair and we get marked down for things that have nothing to with us. I’ve had a pretty easy life so it was a good reminder of what it feels like to be screwed. Five years later, I’d much rather remember the power of that feeling than have an A in the class. If I ever see him again, I’d probably thank him for the lesson.
In fairness, I'd with that one myself. Professors should make a syllabus and rubric and stick to it. I was annoyed to no end in undergrad when I only found out after the first assignment what the grading criteria were. It's a stupid, outdated, useless, unnecessary approach to pedagogy that only lends itself to complaints from students and actual bias from the instructor.
For OP, I'd probably just do the things asked, though. None of what was listed seems excessive to me.