Should I drop the class and take a W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddreamsgone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed my econ exam, horribly. I know, absolutely no excuse, but in my defense, my close family has been in the hospital for much time now (and doesn't look to good :/)and it's starting to take a toll on my grades.

Legitimately failed the exam and it was roughly 1/3 of my grade. I calculated that I could still get a B- in the class - but that's if I get 100's on EVERYTHING going forward (realistically impossible).

I could still drop the class and take a W? But Idk if I should do this b/c I have I already have one on my transcript.

Thoughts? Should I just tough it through and get the B- (likely lower) or get the W?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Failed my econ exam, horribly. I know, absolutely no excuse, but in my defense, my close family has been in the hospital for much time now and it's starting to take a toll on my grades.

Legitimately failed the exam and it was roughly 1/3 of my grade. I calculated that I could still get a B- in the class - but that's if I get 100's on EVERYTHING going forward (realistically impossible).

I could still drop the class and take a W? But Idk if I should do this b/c I have I already have one on my transcript.

Thoughts? Should I just tough it through and get the B- (likely lower) or get the W?
I'd go to the professor and ask her/him if there's anything more you can do on top of acing your future assignments to get a "B" in the class. Explain your family's 'hospital situation' too.

If that's a no-go, I'd buckle down and ace the assignments and ask her/him to bump you to a B anyway at the end of the semester. Additionally, you better show up to every god damn office hour + be the most pleasant, kind student s/he has ever seen.

Don't get a 2nd W on your transcript. Tough it out and do well. You might end up getting an LOR out of it if you show true resiliency.

Having a grand total of 2 W's on your transcript will not destroy your medical school chances and will not affect your GPA. But earning a poor grade will certainly affect your GPA. Given the stress you're under with your family situation, I wouldn't gamble on your GPA now. Be honest with yourself. I don't think it's wise to put more academic pressure on yourself to get perfect test scores while your family is in the hospital.

I was in a similar situation and decided to take the W. I had a successful app cycle despite my Ws.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well whats your GPA? I don't think a couple of W's will be a big detriment to your application.

Don't you mean drop the class and take an L?

Failed my econ exam, horribly. I know, absolutely no excuse, but in my defense, my close family has been in the hospital for much time now and it's starting to take a toll on my grades.

Take the W. Having 2 W's is okay but avoid making this a habit in the future. Take it light this semester, while focusing on your family. Hopefully, everything gets better soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have to decide by tomorrow b/c once if drop after tomorrow, the W's on my transcript will count as F's and factor on my GPA. If I decide before tomorrow and drop they will just be listed as W's without any bearing to my GPA.

I'm getting the sense to drop it and take the W, it just bugs me a bit b/c it's my second one and I feel like I'm letting myself down in the process, but I also don't wanna f*ck my GPA.

Are you letting yourself down? Yes. Is it the best decision to take the W? Probably.

My advice is take the W. You've messed up. That is okay. This is your second time doing it. Think long and hard about how you've failed yourself here. You got lucky since this is your second time around this part of town. Come around a third time and your app may not be so lucky - you, not so happy.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have to decide by tomorrow b/c once if drop after tomorrow, the W's on my transcript will count as F's and factor on my GPA. If I decide before tomorrow and drop they will just be listed as W's without any bearing to my GPA.

I'm getting the sense to drop it and take the W, it just bugs me a bit b/c it's my second one and I feel like I'm letting myself down in the process, but I also don't wanna f*ck my GPA.

I got in with 5 W's. It's much better to have 2 Ws and a 3.6 than 1 W and a 3.45 or whatever this would do to your GPA

Thanks for the comments everyone. I went ahead and dropped the class. Hopefully this never happens again.

I have 2 W's in BCPM classes and I haven't been asked about them yet during interviews. Regardless, family and mental health ALWAYS come first.

If they ask, do I just tell them the truth? Or, in other words, how do you all handle situations in which they ask about the W's

Very sorry to hear of your woes. But yes, take the W. It shows a lot more wisdom to do so than to try to bulldoze your way through when you're not at your best.

Contrary to pre-med delusions, a W isn't going to hurt you.

Failed my econ exam, horribly. I know, absolutely no excuse, but in my defense, my close family has been in the hospital for much time now (and doesn't look to good :/)and it's starting to take a toll on my grades.

Take the D.....I mean W. Thats what she said.