Should I drop the class for a W and try again next quarter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came to the O. Chem midterm one hour late. I live about 70 miles away from the school - that particular day, there was a major accident that closed off the highway I take to leave my town and I had to find an alternate route that was backed up.

It took me 3.5 hours that morning. I was devastated. I bawled the entire drive to class.

I emailed the professor while just sitting in traffic an hour prior to the exam, explaining the situation and asked if I could take the exam in the two hour break period before lab (this would have been directly after the exam finished).

She didn't email back until I had arrived and was taking the test. She simply said "I emailed you" as I handed in my incomplete test. Her email response was that she couldn't let me take the test later but that we might come up with a compromise.

I was so emotionally beaten and depressed. I was discouraged. I couldn't understand why that happened the day of the test - something out of my control could affect me so much. I didn't go to the lab after that test. I went out because I needed to get away. I felt sure that I would have to drop the class anyway (because I didn't want to end up fighting just to pass).

I did, however, email back that I was interested in hearing about the compromise she would offer. I also wrote that taking the class next quarter and starting over might turn out to be the better option for me.
She didn't reply back until today. I've now missed 2 lab experiments. She wrote that she can entirely replace my failed exam score with the score that I receive on an upcoming quiz. This would mean that I have quite a chance still.

But now I've already missed two lab experiments (important not to miss labs - they're worth quite a bit) and a lecture. And I just feel really discouraged and lacking in motivation after that day. With the way that I feel, I'm really leaning toward dropping. I'd already started planning on working more to catch up on payments. However, I've wasted so much time in getting my degree that I'm not sure I should rely on my emotionally fueled decision.

How should I reply to her? Please advise me.

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can meet with her and calculate if it's still possible to pass the class with an A or B. If you think you have what it takes (emotionally I mean and assuming it's still possible), I would stick with it.

Last edited: