Should I email PI to ask about admission status? (Miami- Ohio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarPsych2019

Reaction score
I haven't gotten an interview invite form a PhD program I applied to but I haven't gotten a rejection either (it seems like some mass rejection emails have been sent out to applicants). I have a pending offer from a solid university-based PsyD program but I'm hesitant about accepting it. Should I email the PI at the PhD program to ask about my admission status or should I wait? At this time waiting feels like a lost cause since it's late March and I haven't heard back. I'm kinda stuck at crossroads right now and would appreciate any advice you have.

The program is Clinical Psychology @ Miami University -Ohio

Members don't see this ad.

Accept the Program you got into.

You unfortunately did not get in at Miami-Ohio. Looks like they sent out rejections /waitlists / acceptances. You can check on gradcafe.com/results. Search the program and will see that other students have heard from them. Which means they already had interviews.

no interview, no acceptance. I didn't get some of my rejection letters until mid or late summer when I was applying (rejections from places I didn't get interviews) which was well after the deadline to accept - not that I was holding my breath.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accept the Program you got into.

You unfortunately did not get in at Miami-Ohio. Looks like they sent out rejections /waitlists / acceptances. You can check on gradcafe.com/results. Search the program and will see that other students have heard from them. Which means they already had interviews.

Thanks for your response. Now it's a matter of waiting another year to reapply vs. accepting the PsyD offer. Part of me is not satisfied with taking the PsyD offer when I know I can get into a PhD program. It's really hard to decide. Do you think waiting could be a mistake? A bird in the hand worth two in the bush kind of deal?

no interview, no acceptance. I didn't get some of my rejection letters until mid or late summer when I was applying (rejections from places I didn't get interviews) which was well after the deadline to accept - not that I was holding my breath.

Thanks for your response. Do you mind sharing your advice on wether I should reapply to PhD programs or accept the PsyD offer?
Some facts about the PsyD program:
- University based
- Opportunity for research
- Kind of expensive (Around 100K)
- Highly reputable in the community but not really known out of state

If I were you I'd wait for a funded PhD program offer if you have ways if improving your competitiveness and fit. If not, then go for it (if you can handle that dead weight of tuition/loans for the next 10-20 years - I would not advise this, but to each their own, and I don't know your financial situation).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your response. Do you mind sharing your advice on wether I should reapply to PhD programs or accept the PsyD offer?
Some facts about the PsyD program:
- University based
- Opportunity for research
- Kind of expensive (Around 100K)
- Highly reputable in the community but not really known out of state
Any opportunities for funding?

Any opportunities for funding?

A $5,000 scholarship and opportunity to apply for a graduate assistantship (paid hourly and doesn't include tuition waiver). If I was to accept, I'm also planning on working part time while in the program to pay off the loans as I go. I'm fortunate to have parents who are willing to help with living expenses while I'm in school. Some alumni of the program are in loan forgiveness programs.

Thanks for your response. Now it's a matter of waiting another year to reapply vs. accepting the PsyD offer. Part of me is not satisfied with taking the PsyD offer when I know I can get into a PhD program. It's really hard to decide. Do you think waiting could be a mistake? A bird in the hand worth two in the bush kind of deal?

If you want my honest opinion, If you can wait a year, DO IT. I was in your position last year and couldn’t bring myself to apply to psyd programs. This year I got admitted to multiple fuLly funded PHD programs & so happy I didn’t apply to Psyd programs. Between the cost and stigma, Psyd programs are not worth it to me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If you want my honest opinion, If you can wait a year, DO IT. I was in your position last year and couldn’t bring myself to apply to psyd programs. This year I got admitted to multiple fuLly funded PHD programs & so happy I didn’t apply to Psyd programs. Between the cost and stigma, Psyd programs are not worth it to me.

Yes, I'm seriously considering waiting another year. Do you mind sharing how you improved your application this year and how many programs you applied to? Thanks a lot!

A $5,000 scholarship and opportunity to apply for a graduate assistantship (paid hourly and doesn't include tuition waiver). If I was to accept, I'm also planning on working part time while in the program to pay off the loans as I go. I'm fortunate to have parents who are willing to help with living expenses while I'm in school. Some alumni of the program are in loan forgiveness programs.
Honestly, I'd wait a year and apply to only fully funded programs.

Yes, I'm seriously considering waiting another year. Do you mind sharing how you improved your application this year and how many programs you applied to? Thanks a lot!

I applied last year to 10 programs and got 3 interviews. After I didn’t get into something I wanted, I focused on obtaining a RA position. My gre was good enough. I also focused my research and only applied to programs with the faculty I had really strong matches with. I applied to 20 programs this cycle and had 9 interviews. After the first 4 I had multiple offers and decided to end my interviews and decided a program. I picked a perfect match program in a high producing R1. I am excited and feel very lucky to be given an opportunity.

I believe my RA position, and my improvements in my interview skills are why I had multiple offers from funded programs

I applied last year to 10 programs and got 3 interviews. After I didn’t get into something I wanted, I focused on obtaining a RA position. My gre was good enough. I also focused my research and only applied to programs with the faculty I had really strong matches with. I applied to 20 programs this cycle and had 9 interviews. After the first 4 I had multiple offers and decided to end my interviews and decided a program. I picked a perfect match program in a high producing R1. I am excited and feel very lucky to be given an opportunity.

I believe my RA position, and my improvements in my interview skills are why I had multiple offers from funded programs

Thanks for all the helpful info and congrats on getting into such a good program! Can I ask if you had any publications prior to applying? Also, was your program in clinical psych?

This year I had one publication in review and had multiple years of presentations. I applied to 60% counseling and 40% clinical. It doesn’t matter between clinical and counseling. It’s all about research fit and skill