Should I emphasize that I want to do primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diocletian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would mention that, as of now, you are interested in pursuing some sort of primary care specialty. I wouldn't say you are going to pursue it with absolute certainty though, they might think you are just giving them lip service even if you are genuinely serious.

If it's honest, I see no harm in saying that you're interested in primary care. I think it would be a decent addition to the answer to the "Why here?" question if the school is as committed to producing PCPs as you say. Just try not to come off as naive or disingenuous though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it's a research heavy school, you should always emphasize primary care even if you'd rather be dead than do primary care.

I would mention that, as of now, you are interested in pursuing some sort of primary care specialty. I wouldn't say you are going to pursue it with absolute certainty though, they might think you are just giving them lip service even if you are genuinely serious.

I second this. There's no problem with expressing your interest in primary care, but saying that you are "definitely" going to do it will probably come off as naive.

This is interesting advice. My girlfriend's dad tells me the same thing every time I see him.

The schools aren't stupid. Most schools have a primary care mission but they'll be the first to brag about matches in dermatology, integrated plastics, academic IM, etc. Is it dishonest to say you're interested in primary care when you'd rather flip burgers for a living? Maybe, but who cares. The interview is only a game. Step up your bs game and go with the flow.

Unless it's a research heavy school, you should always emphasize primary care even if you'd rather be dead than do primary care.

Yes, primary care is one of the things that schools like to hear. As is, serve the underserved.

But, you should definitely tread carefully. I remember when I was preparing for medical school interviews, I watched a generic interview video on YouTube. In the video, the girl mentioned the reasons she wanted to be a doctor, and one of them was to help the underserved. This definitely stuck out at me.

Sure, you might think that telling schools directly what they want to hear is a good thing, but if you don't have the ECs to back it up, they'll know you're full of it. I think this can definitely backfire if you're not helpful. If you ended up shadowing a surgeon, anesthesiologist, dermatologist, and suddenly say you are dying to do primary care, then I think the ADCOMs will know you are feeding them complete lies. Same thing with the underserved, if all you did was volunteer in a hospital once a week.

It's a game of course, but being too forward with these things can backfire too. Only use them when you can back them up and sound genuine. Otherwise, I think it will not end up well. :cool:

Good luck! :luck:

If you say you want to do primary care, you should have an explanation for why you want to do primary care as well as elements of your application that back that statement up. Internal consistency in application and interview are important. And to be honest, I don't think it makes a difference at all. In maybe two dozen or so adcom meetings I was at I never once heard someone mention wanting to go into primary care as a good or a bad thing.

Yes, primary care is one of the things that schools like to hear. As is, serve the underserved.

But, you should definitely tread carefully. I remember when I was preparing for medical school interviews, I watched a generic interview video on YouTube. In the video, the girl mentioned the reasons she wanted to be a doctor, and one of them was to help the underserved. This definitely stuck out at me.

Sure, you might think that telling schools directly what they want to hear is a good thing, but if you don't have the ECs to back it up, they'll know you're full of it. I think this can definitely backfire if you're not helpful. If you ended up shadowing a surgeon, anesthesiologist, dermatologist, and suddenly say you are dying to do primary care, then I think the ADCOMs will know you are feeding them complete lies. Same thing with the underserved, if all you did was volunteer in a hospital once a week.

It's a game of course, but being too forward with these things can backfire too. Only use them when you can back them up and sound genuine. Otherwise, I think it will not end up well. :cool:

Good luck! :luck:

I grew up in a rural, borderline underserved area and I shadowed FM physicians and volunteered at a hospital in a rural, borderline underserved area. I'm on a whole other level of bs skills. :cool:

I grew up in a rural, borderline underserved area and I shadowed FM physicians and volunteered at a hospital in a rural, borderline underserved area. I'm on a whole other level of bs skills. :cool:

You sir, sound just like myself. ;)

There's nothing wrong with saying that unless, like Planes2Doc mentioned, you are OBVIOUSLY not interested in FM. I mean, no one on the interview committee is going to check back with you in a few years to make sure you are going into a FM residency...
A good way to phrase it, however, is, "It interests me and I'm keeping my options open."

not gonna say I have the same tricks up my sleeve but... :naughty: