Should I even Apply to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maskedmamba8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my options

I just graduated from an Ivy League College

3.1 GPA: Majoring in Economics with a Finance concentration
Science GPA: Like a 2.7
I had a 3.6 GPA my Senior year taking 31 credits

Biology: C/B-
Organic: C+/B
Physics: A/B
Gen Chemistry: C+/B+

MCAT (Took April): 39 (14 PS; 12 VR; 13 BS)

Extracurriculars:
Volunteer Hospice
Shadowing: Internal Medicine, Plastic Surgery, GP
Chorus + leaadership
Other Musical performance group (+ Leadership)
Fraternity member (philatrophy committee) [about 100 hours of volunteering with Fraternity]
Internships with Healthcare/Health companies in the past
Humana Case Competition Finalist
Other Misc Volunteer work
Research [Psychology + Neuroscience]
Sociology Publication on the way
Aid university Art Gallery

Awards:
Dean's List [SR year]
Honors Society

I don't find it a good investment decision to drop money on a masters, I may potentailly be down to take additional classes at a community college/retake classes there

I'm contemplating

DO/MD and potentailly DDS/DMD

I do have a solid fall back in industry

Members don't see this ad.

Nice MCAT. I would recommend taking 1-2 years of upper-level courses (at a 4-year school, not community college) and getting As in those. That should put you in a decent position to apply.

But make sure your MCAT doesn't expire...

Retake those core prereqs that you got Cs in and then worry about more higher division courses. Check MSAR for schools with lower GPA stats and add some DO schools to your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake those core prereqs that you got Cs in and then worry about more higher division courses. Check MSAR for schools with lower GPA stats and add some DO schools to your list.

He got a 39 MCAT, retaking the prereqs would be a waste of time

Not until you get that sGPA > 3.0, and then consider DO schools. AACOMAS' grade replacement does wonders for the GPA.

For MD schools, you'll need a SMP or post-bac and rock solid MCAT

Not until you get that sGPA > 3.0, and then consider DO schools. AACOMAS' grade replacement does wonders for the GPA.

For MD schools, you'll need a SMP or post-bac and rock solid MCAT
Agreed.

OP, for what it's worth @mimelim had a 3.4 GPA and 39+ MCAT and interviewed at a lot of amazing schools. He is now in a vascular surgery residency, so it can be done. For MD schools, I'd advise you to work on that GPA first then apply. Congrats on that MCAT score though :thumbup:

Although I am loath to use an n=1 as an example OP, a GPA of 3.4, while below average, is still competitive. One just has to apply strategically.

EDITED!

Agreed.

OP, for what it's worth @mimelim had a 3.4 GPA and 39+ MCAT and interviewed at a lot of amazing schools. He is now in a vascular surgery residency, so it can be done. For MD schools, I'd advise you to work on that GPA first then apply. Congrats on that MCAT score though :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Although I am loath to use an n=1 as an example OP, your 3.4, while below average, is still competitive. One just has to apply strategically.
Exactly, although unless I read wrong op doesn't have a 3.4 yet. OP has a 3.1 GPA / 2.7 sGPA with an upward trend included.

Reactions: 1 user