Medical should I even apply to medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'll be graduating in 2 days with a 2.8 overall GPA after studying for 5 years at a university.
I feel like I did not do my best during those 5 years, even though the reason I have such a low GPA is that I was frequently hospitalized during my freshman and sophomore years. I never got to take my finals/took them in the hospital my first two years which is why my GPA started off badly. Since then, my GPA has only seen an upward trend, the last 60-80 credits resulted in a 3.6 GPA but it didn't help much since I started off so horribly. I don't know what my next step should be, I don't have the money to complete a Master's program so I was thinking of just taking some other classes at either a community college or university near me but I'm still unsure. I currently work as a scribe at a hospital, I have over 2,000 volunteer/shadowing hours, none for research, etc. I am planning to study for my MCAT during the summer and take it at the end of June/beginning of July. What do you suggest I do? Should I even bother applying for medical school? I don't care if I have to take a longer path than other students, as long as I reach my goal of being a doctor. I am willing to do anything and everything I can to achieve this goal.
There are MD and DO schools that reward reinvention. Can you give your year by year GPAs?

Suggest reading posts by SDNer Calizboosted76. He started out from an even bigger hole than you did.

You might want to consider just working for a year or two, saving up money and then doing an SMP or DIY post-bac

And read this:

Members don't see this ad.

As you know, the only way you are going to gain acceptance into medical school is with a post-bac/SMP to help your GPA. If you don't have the money now to do it, save up until you do, continue your ECs, and then do the post-bac or SMP. This may take a while, but it can still be done.

I agree with my colleagues. Work for a few years, get your life and finances in order, and then if the fire is still burning for med school figure out a post-bacc/SMP at that point. But you need to crush it--meaning a 4.0. So don't do it until you're ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always heard that it's not a good idea to take classes at a community college, especially if you want to go to medical school. I've heard this from both friends and advisors but I wanted to take a class or two over the summer at a community college because 1. it's better financially and 2. it's near me so I don't have to travel far and can maintain my job at a nearby hospital.
Nope. If you can do well and get a good MCAT it doesn’t matter where classes were done

Status
Not open for further replies.