Apr 5, 2010
Status
Here is a basic bio:

School:
-Top 15 school
-projected graduation stats: 3.8 major gpa (Spanish Lit), 3.5 overall GPA, 3.15 science
-upward trend in grades
-science gpa bogged down by straight Cs in Organic Chemistry, and one C+ in Inorganic Chemistry

Other factors:
-Division 1 Varsity athlete
-Cuban-American
-leader of a medically related humanitarian aid trip to a foreign country for several years
-~50 hours physician shadowing
-clinical research in an emergency room
-Physics research (unpublished)
-Drug use research while studying abroad (unpublished)

I am currently a Junior and wondering if it's worth applying my senior year or to do a postbacc. I haven't taken the MCAT but have done well on standardized tests in the past so I hope to hit at the very least a 30.

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
What's the % of people who get in from your undergrad? What did your premed adviser suggest?

Apr 5, 2010
Status
What's the % of people who get in from your undergrad? What did your premed adviser suggest?
I don't know the exact percentage, but I do know that it is relatively strong and is above 50%.

My adviser was pretty vague; she basically didn't give me an answer whether I should or should not.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take the mcat then decide, you seem reasonably competitive given URM status (I think) and do you have no volunteering besides the mission work?

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay, those Top 10 schools usually know roughly how competitive their applicants have to be stats-wise with pretty decent precision. I'd get these stats from your career services group and see how you compare. If you're in the range, sit for the MCAT and go for it. I'm not a good evaluator of ECs...

If not, I wouldn't take the MCAT or spend the money involved in an app cycle. Retake those low grade classes postbac. And then apply.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Take the mcat then decide, you seem reasonably competitive given URM status (I think) and do you have no volunteering besides the mission work?

This summer I will be volunteering in a Latina pregnancy clinic, but I agree that I should add to the volunteering.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Drug use research while studying abroad (unpublished)
i'm sure lots of college kids do drug use "research" when they're abroad :smuggrin: