MD & DO Should I even bother with MD apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roro420

Reaction score
1. 3.3 cGPA , 3.2 sGPA(slight upward trend), MCAT 515(2nd attempt); Graduated May 2020 with Biochemistry BSc and Computer Science Minor; FL resident and ORM
*I also plan on taking 16-20 hours of upper level bio classes as a post bacc this spring which should get my cGPA to 3.4 and sGPA to 3.3
2. 1 year of research experience in Nanophotonics lab and 2 years of research experience in Biochemistry lab with undergrad thesis publication and multiple poster presentations
3. Unpaid and Paid Teaching Assistant positions for Biochemistry 1 and 2 where I led other TA's for 2 years
4. clinical volunteering --- 50 hours of volunteering for a clinic that treats the local underserved population at no cost, 100-200 hours of volunteering for hospice care
5. non clinical volunteering --- 200 hours of volunteering for food drive
6. 300 hours of shadowing 3 different MD physicians

Is applying to MD schools pointless with my GPA? Are my chances for DO even good and if so which schools would I have a good shot for?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your demographics (state residency, race/ethnicity, first-gen, etc.)?

I will say that your clinical hours can use a boost, and I would definitely say there could be more non-clinical community service to underserved or disadvantaged populations. The general question I have is how much face time you have with people in need in all of these activities.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your demographics (state residency, race/ethnicity, first-gen, etc.)?

I will say that your clinical hours can use a boost, and I would definitely say there could be more non-clinical community service to underserved or disadvantaged populations. The general question I have is how much face time you have with people in need in all of these activities.

I am an ORM-southeast Asian and am a Florida resident. As for the food drive, I help distribute the food directly to the local underserved population but I do see your point and I’ll try to look for opportunities with more prolonged contact with underserved populations. I plan on trying to get more clinical hours through hospice care but is ~250 hours simply not enough? Thank you for your input by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an ORM-southeast Asian and am a Florida resident. As for the food drive, I help distribute the food directly to the local underserved population but I do see your point and I’ll try to look for opportunities with more prolonged contact with underserved populations. I plan on trying to get more clinical hours through hospice care but is ~250 hours simply not enough? Thank you for your input by the way.
Hospice care: again my opinion which reflects experience and discussions with various AdComs... that depends on what you did as a volunteer. You don't have to go into all the details here, but I wanted to give you an idea of how people who review applications will be thinking.

Hospice care: again my opinion which reflects experience and discussions with various AdComs... that depends on what you did as a volunteer. You don't have to go into all the details here, but I wanted to give you an idea of how people who review applications will be thinking.
I'll definitely keep this in mind when looking for more volunteer opportunities in the coming months and when applying, thank you. Do you think my GPA will bar me from applying for MD even if I get my service hours up?

What was your first MCAT score? Are you aware that AMCAS rec that med schools average multiple MCAT scores? Some do and some don’t but we really have no way of knowing what a school does. Even when you call and ask you might not get a real answer. As @Mr.Smile12 alluded, your ECs are rather lack luster. From what you have shared, nothing stands out, nothing makes you memorable.
As to your GPAs, you can apply anyplace you want, but if you want to be a doctor you should also include several DO schools. The average GPA for matriculated MD students is 3.71+ . Your GPA is well below that. So keep that in mind when developing your list. Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to develop your list. Watch out for OOS public schools. They almost always favor their own residents. Private schools might be a viable alternative but make sure your backstory and ECs fit the mission of the school.

What was your first MCAT score? Are you aware that AMCAS rec that med schools average multiple MCAT scores? Some do and some don’t but we really have no way of knowing what a school does. Even when you call and ask you might not get a real answer. As @Mr.Smile12 alluded, your ECs are rather lack luster. From what you have shared, nothing stands out, nothing makes you memorable.
As to your GPAs, you can apply anyplace you want, but if you want to be a doctor you should also include several DO schools. The average GPA for matriculated MD students is 3.71+ . Your GPA is well below that. So keep that in mind when developing your list. Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to develop your list. Watch out for OOS public schools. They almost always favor their own residents. Private schools might be a viable alternative but make sure your backstory and ECs fit the mission of the school.
My first score was 503 so I see how that could be a concern. I'll be taking 20 credits of upper div bio classes this Spring as a post bacc so hopefully, that will help to make a stronger trend. I'll be sure to include DO schools on my school list. For my EC's is the concern more for the hours I have in these activities or the type? Would obtaining leadership positions in these organizations make me "stand out". Thank you for your feedback!

My first score was 503 so I see how that could be a concern. I'll be taking 20 credits of upper div bio classes this Spring as a post bacc so hopefully, that will help to make a stronger trend. I'll be sure to include DO schools on my school list. For my EC's is the concern more for the hours I have in these activities or the type? Would obtaining leadership positions in these organizations make me "stand out". Thank you for your feedback!

Getting leadership roles in these organization, wouldn’t help you because you wouldn’t be having face to face interaction with the recipients/clients patients. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruistic side to ADCOMS. As a physician you will have to deal with patients who are very unlike yourself. That’s why it’s important to get this experience. I guess what is bothering me is it seems you are box checking. You are doing an activity to be doing it, to get it done so you can list it on your application. You are showing no passion for the people you are working with. Find something you love to do so you can talk about it on your application and in your interviews.
Oh and just a FYI, 300 hours of shadowing Is overkill. If one of those docs was a primary care doc you have enough. You might want to find a DO to shadow. Some DO schools like/require a letter from a doc. I don’t know if that letter has to be from a DO or if a MD letter is okay. Good luck as you move forward.

Getting leadership roles in these organization, wouldn’t help you because you wouldn’t be having face to face interaction with the recipients/clients patients. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruistic side to ADCOMS. As a physician you will have to deal with patients who are very unlike yourself. That’s why it’s important to get this experience. I guess what is bothering me is it seems you are box checking. You are doing an activity to be doing it, to get it done so you can list it on your application. You are showing no passion for the people you are working with. Find something you love to do so you can talk about it on your application and in your interviews.
Oh and just a FYI, 300 hours of shadowing Is overkill. If one of those docs was a primary care doc you have enough. You might want to find a DO to shadow. Some DO schools like/require a letter from a doc. I don’t know if that letter has to be from a DO or if a MD letter is okay. Good luck as you move forward.
I definitely can see how it comes across that I am insincere through my cookie cutter EC's. I'll try to reflect on my interests/passions and hopefully, I can find something service-related I can use them in. Thank you for the reality check.