May 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So this is my dilemma. I am film major (BFA), have a cumulative GPA of 2.97 and my Science GPA is about 2.7. I will admit that I wasn't really interested in med school initially and took the classes to satisfy my parents. But i really want to join now. I took the MCAT twice and both times landed a 19. I dont have any medical experience whatsoever and I have been working in film for over 7 years now as a writer for various TV shows and directors (Currently working on Archie Comics movie adaptations script). My premed advisor wont write a committee letter because "I am not a worthy candidate." I am not stupid at all, just made a couple of bad decisions that I regret and I am more than willing to make up for it. Do they have medical schools in the US that allow students like me in for a trial semester to see if I am any good? Also, with these scores, what should I do with the Caribbean school? It might seem that I am too involved in film, but the reason is that I am a very good writer and it was my bread and butter for years. I am very interested in medical school not for the typical reasons to help people, money, etc..but because I am fascinated by the human body and want to learn how far the limits of a human body can go..I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks.

Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Okay..Well it all depends...Sure you kinda screwed up your film GPA.(no offence.) But, if you really,really want to be a doctor than of course its possible..Nothings impossible..But you have a long road ahead of you, but it can be accomplished with hardwork and determination...

I have a friend who dropped out of high school his freshman year, got his GED when he turned 18...And now hes working on his undergrad and he's doing amazingly well so far.... And not to mention the reason he dropped out of high school was because he started selling drugs.....:laugh:

So anything is possible aslong as you WANT it....

If i was you, this is what I would do.

I would take Biology course's along with some science course's and do incredibally well in them...I'd study my butt off and take the MCAT and try to score atleast a 30.....

Than apply to school, but i doubt you will get into the mid-top tier schools.

Thats just my opinion.....:cool:

You have options though...You could go into dentistry...It's easier to get into a dental school than a med school.....

Just my two cents.. lol

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
I've heard that all Caribbean schools don't require an MCAT score, so that might be worth looking into.

Alternatively, if you go back to school and earn a second undergrad degree with another 120 hours of credits, your cGPA would rise to nearly 3.5. And with an MCAT score of 32, you might get an allopathic med school acceptance. Median stats for those accepted to MD schools are a 3.65 and 31.

Another alternative would be to go back to school until your undergrad GPA is greater than 3.0. Then with an MCAT score of 28-30, you might get into a Special Masters Program to help you redeem your low GPA. If you get a 3.5-3.7, you might be offered an interview at whatever med school program the SMP was linked to. See the Post-baccalaureate Forum for more details than I know about.

Last option is to repeat all your worst classes, repeating the prerequisites that you didn't grasp well the first time, and applying to DO med schools where they only include the most recent retake when calculating your application GPA (provided the credit hours are the same or greater). The median stats for those accepted to DO schools are cGPA of 3.45 and MCAT of 25.5.

Jul 30, 2009
Status
If you really want to pursue medicine then of course you should bother with it! You'll need to take care of any prerequisites that you have not taken thus far including a year of Calculus just to make you competitive at as many schools as possible. A post bac or Graduate degree is a must for you, unfortunately. I would lean towards a Masters degree that way you can take more science courses and get the necessary research experience, conferences, and possibly a publication or two out of that experience. You'll need to volunteer somewhere (hospital, soup kitchen, etc) or work for a hospital part time. Obviously, you'll need to have at least three solid letters of rec which could also come by way of the Master's degree. As for the dreaded MCAT, I am in agreement with Kelo and Stratego that you should try and increase that score (30s would be a monumental feat for anyone) and apply to low tier MD and several DO schools of your choosing. You should be aware that some DO schools require a letter of rec from a DO. Which brings me to my last point, you must shadow a physician and get a solid letter from one. I know this sounds like a lot but all of us go through this process and this is what you need to do in order to level the playing field. As a word of caution you should realize that MCATs and GPAs are on a major upward trend and will likely continue to do so given the increasing number of applicants. This means that the 25 MCAT and 3.45 GPA cited above may not be valid when you are ready to apply several years from now. Any idea what specialty you would like to pursue? What state are you from? Whew! Best of luck!!

physicsnerd42

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I...have a cumulative GPA of 2.97 and my Science GPA is about 2.7. I took the MCAT twice and both times landed a 19.
It is extremely unlikely you will get into a US medical school (MD or DO). Your only chance at US schools is to do a post-bac, get a ~4.0, retake the MCAT and get well above a 30, and then only apply to the few schools which only consider the most recent MCAT. This path is long, expensive and unlikely to yield success. The Caribbean may be an option, but you need to do very well at one of the (three semi-well-known) Caribbean MD schools in order to get a residency in the US.

You can learn a lot about the human body without going through medical school. All of these ways are shorter and cheaper (and more accessible) than the path to becoming a doctor. Also, from your description, I'm not sure that the MD/DO is what you actually want.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I think many of the responses you've received thus far have been far, far too optimistic.

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
It is extremely unlikely you will get into a US medical school (MD or DO). Your only chance at US schools is to do a post-bac, get a ~4.0, retake the MCAT and get well above a 30, and then only apply to the few schools which only consider the most recent MCAT. This path is long, expensive and unlikely to yield success. The Caribbean may be an option, but you need to do very well at one of the (three semi-well-known) Caribbean MD schools in order to get a residency in the US.

You can learn a lot about the human body without going through medical school. All of these ways are shorter and cheaper (and more accessible) than the path to becoming a doctor. Also, from your description, I'm not sure that the MD/DO is what you actually want.

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I think many of the responses you've received thus far have been far, far too optimistic.
I agree. The MCAT is more killer than the GPA, IMO. A 19 is pretty hard to get if you truly studied. And 19 twice? :(