Should I even consider applying OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatAggieGuy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a texas resident applying to all texas schools through tmdsas and baylor through amcas. I've always dreamt of attending prestigious schools and I'm excited to get my application to some of these Texas schools. My question is, should I even consider applying to other prestigious schools outside of Texas (Harvard, John Hopkins, Yale, Duke)? My mcat score is what holds me back from doing so.

Hispanic
510 Mcat (124 Cars... yikes)
3.96 GPA
Great EC's
2 research labs (1100 hours and 300 hours)
couple poster presentations
Recognized undergraduate university
volunteering is good
I think my Personal statement is pretty strong
I love to travel and set time aside to get some volunteer work in (China, Africa, Peru)

I never got the MSAR because I figured I was just going to apply to all Texas schools anyways which is why I have a feeling my mcat knocks me out of the game with those big schools. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a texas resident applying to all texas schools through tmdsas and baylor through amcas. I've always dreamt of attending prestigious schools and I'm excited to get my application to some of these Texas schools. My question is, should I even consider applying to other prestigious schools outside of Texas (Harvard, John Hopkins, Yale, Duke)? My mcat score is what holds me back from doing so.

Hispanic
510 Mcat (124 Cars... yikes)
3.96 GPA
Great EC's
2 research labs (1100 hours and 300 hours)
couple poster presentations
Recognized undergraduate university
volunteering is good
I think my Personal statement is pretty strong
I love to travel and set time aside to get some volunteer work in (China, Africa, Peru)

I never got the MSAR because I figured I was just going to apply to all Texas schools anyways which is why I have a feeling my mcat knocks me out of the game with those big schools. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

10th percentile MCAT at Yale is 513. 514 for Hopkins. Unless you have an amazing life story, I don't think you're going to make it past their screen. Baylor is also a stretch, with a 10th percentile MCAT of 513. You may want to make sure you are applying to schools that you are competitive for.

10th percentile MCAT at Yale is 513. 514 for Hopkins. Unless you have an amazing life story, I don't think you're going to make it past their screen. Baylor is also a stretch, with a 10th percentile MCAT of 513. You may want to make sure you are applying to schools that you are competitive for.
Like i said, I'm applying to all Texas schools that includes tech, a&m, utmb, utrgv, dell, long, southwestern you don't think I'm competitive for these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking plainly, no, you're not competitive for top tier private OOS schools. But you're fine for IS TX schools --

And while A&M is well-known, it's reputation is not one that would impress Harvard, Yale or Johns Hopkins.

Speaking plainly, no, you're not competitive for top tier private OOS schools. But you're fine for IS TX schools --

And while A&M is well-known, it's reputation is not one that would impress Harvard, Yale or Johns Hopkins.
thank you for your advice! it's crazy how much mcat scores can affect an applicant, and yes, I meant "Johns Hopkins" thanks for correcting!