Should I even keep trying for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jseperack

killing myself trying
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I've wanted to go to Medical School since I was young however I'm not sure any more if it's even worth it to continue trying or if I should just accept that it isn't going to happen. This is my second year at my local community college (which is actually one of the best CC's in the country). I recently applied to a 4 year school (SUNY-ESF) and am waiting to hear back. They are the 32nd public school in the country and the Medical School I want to go to (SUNY Upstate) told me that they take students often from that school. My current gpa is a 2.5 due to failing Calc II and getting two C's. I'm doing VERY well this semester. I got a 27 on my ACT and did decent in High School. Do I have ANY chance of still getting into a Med School? And if I do, what do I need to do to get there (grade wise and all that). Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all-

I've wanted to go to Medical School since I was young however I'm not sure any more if it's even worth it to continue trying or if I should just accept that it isn't going to happen. This is my second year at my local community college (which is actually one of the best CC's in the country). I recently applied to a 4 year school (SUNY-ESF) and am waiting to hear back. They are the 32nd public school in the country and the Medical School I want to go to (SUNY Upstate) told me that they take students often from that school. My current gpa is a 2.5 due to failing Calc II and getting two C's. I'm doing VERY well this semester. I got a 27 on my ACT and did decent in High School. Do I have ANY chance of still getting into a Med School? And if I do, what do I need to do to get there (grade wise and all that). Thanks for any replies.
Yes you still have a chance at getting into med school, but it hinges on starting to earn mostly A grades and improving your GPAs, even if that means staying an extra year of college or doing additional postbaccalaureate coursework after graduation.

Rather than focusing on MD aspirations only, you might consider including applications to AACOMAS DO med schools in your plans, as they have a grade forgiveness policy, where they only count the last time you take a course (assuming equal or greater credit hours).

Part of what makes one competitive for med school is the MCAT score. If it is higher than typical it can compensate for early mediocre grades. An upward grade trend is also considered, not just the absolute numbers of your GPA.

Just to get this out of the way, high school and the ACT mean nothing to AdComs.
You're going to have to start aceing things to make up for that poor performance. If you;re indeed doing well now, that's good.

If you re-take the failing Calc course, then DO schools will ignore the F.

So, you know what you need to do.

Hi all-

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. I certainly do know what needs to be done. When should I begin studying for the MCAT? I know I'm supposed to take them the Spring Semester of my junior year or the following Summer and I already have my review book but have not yet signed up for a test date. Should I do that now? And will I be able to go to school and work while I'm studying for the MCAT? I currently work FT and go to school FT which probably accounts for my doing poorly :mad:. I was hoping to not take out loans until my 4 year school however I'm clearly going to need to stop working if I'm serious about Med School (which I AM). Thanks again!

Thank you both for your replies. I certainly do know what needs to be done. When should I begin studying for the MCAT? I know I'm supposed to take them the Spring Semester of my junior year or the following Summer and I already have my review book but have not yet signed up for a test date. Should I do that now? And will I be able to go to school and work while I'm studying for the MCAT? I currently work FT and go to school FT which probably accounts for my doing poorly :mad:. I was hoping to not take out loans until my 4 year school however I'm clearly going to need to stop working if I'm serious about Med School (which I AM). Thanks again!

When you are ready.
In your particular scenario, rushing things will put a damper on your chances. Take your time.

1) When should I begin studying for the MCAT? I know I'm supposed to take them the Spring Semester of my junior year or the following Summer and I already have my review book but have not yet signed up for a test date.
2) Should I do that now?
3) And will I be able to go to school and work while I'm studying for the MCAT?
4) I currently work FT and go to school FT which probably accounts for my doing poorly :mad:. I was hoping to not take out loans until my 4 year school however I'm clearly going to need to stop working if I'm serious about Med School (which I AM).
1) There is no time that you're "supposed to" take the MCAT. Considering that you may well end up spending more time in college (~40% take 5 years to graduate so you wouldn't be alone) you might consider decompressing your timeline. Take the test after you've completed and mastered all the prerequisites with decent grades, and maybe Physiology, Genetics, and/or Cell Bio, too, and have 2-3 months of dedicated study time. Keep in mind that the score expires in two or three years at most schools, so you don't want to take it prematurely. And you definitely don't want to take it twice.

2) No. You'll want to be sure you're scoring at or above your target MCAT score on multiple practice tests before committing to a date.

3) Highly unlikely that will work out for you.

4) Good idea. You've recognized the problem and acted to correct it.

My #1 choice for a Med school has a side note on the site that says "Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two pre-requisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges." How bad does a CC really look? Will I need to re-take all of my pre-reqs at my four year school in order to get into Med School?

My #1 choice for a Med school has a side note on the site that says "Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two pre-requisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges." How bad does a CC really look? Will I need to re-take all of my pre-reqs at my four year school in order to get into Med School?

The consensus is that the vast majority of your science pre-reqs should be taken at a four year university. Community college courses are, generally speaking, significantly easier than those at a four year university, so bad grades at a CC look worse than those at a four year university and high grades at a CC don't look as impressive as those at a four year university. In other words, medical schools want to see good grades in their pre-reqs at a four year university to ensure that you can handle the heavier, more intense course load and thus, demonstrate that you can handle medical school.

That being said, whether or not you retake the pre-reqs already completed at a CC is up to you. Some medical schools simply don't accept CC credits for pre-reqs, at all. This is usually only the case at some top tier schools, but if you wish to apply to these, then you'll have to re-take all pre-reqs completed at a CC. If you don't have your heart set on these, you need to weigh the potential benefits of a complete re-take against the costs. I certainly wouldn't want more than half my pre-reqs from a CC, probably less than a quarter, ideally. And to re-take any C's or D's in pre-reqs at a CC, and to then get an A or B at a four year university, certainly looks good.

But you can also make up for pre-reqs taken at a CC, by taking upper levels related to those pre-reqs at a four year university and doing well. For example, if you are a biology major and took BIOL 100 at a CC, don't bother to retake BIOL 100 at the four year university. Just take genetics and cell bio, and get A's.

When you say your school is "one of the best CC's in the country", I interpret that to mean that compared to a 4-year school, the rigor is similar. The concern about CCs is that the curriculum may not be intense enough to help you grasp all the necessary concepts or to prepare one well for the MCAT. In your case (if I'm correct) that is unlikely to be true, unless you weren't paying attention.

While some MD schools look down on CC credits, most do not. And the vast majority of DO schools won't care. I suggest you plan to take plenty of upper-level Bio and Biochem at the 4-year and get As to prove you got a proper foundation, as JustMeditate suggested.

Here's a simple answer: Forget medical school, and forget the medical field entirely.

It's such a stupid idea to even attempt it unless you have the money to pay for it out of pocket. Med schools will LOVE you and accept you without question if you have the cash up front. Why do you think they ask for your social security number and parent information on the applications? Secondly, if you don't have the money, who on earth wants to go through 8+ years of additional education on top of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt? Certainly not me.

I have a bachelor's degree in Pathologist's Assistant. I graduated in 2006, and I've gone through about 5 jobs in the field since then. Besides the fact that I got screwed out of national ASCP certification since my program was not NAACLS-accredited, thereby hindering me from obtaining any PA job I want in the country, the field itself (as well as the entire medical field) is indeed a business....a greedy business solely focused on $$$ and never on the patient.

As a Pathologist's Assistant, I encountered the problem of productivity time and time again, to the point where they treat you like you're on an assembly line. I have also encountered multiple power struggles with managers and supervisors. None of my 5 jobs as a PA have lasted more than a year each. I even got accepted into a PA Master's degree last year, just to get ASCP certified. That backfired in my face because I was seen as a threat since I knew too much. The administration bad-mouthed me behind my back, and the Dean even suggested that I withdraw from the program. I even have copies of the e-mails they were mailing to each other about me as well as audio recordings documenting this! They made it clear that the program was for people who weren't exposed to the field, which is utter bull****. Rather than see me as a resource of valuable information and experience for my fellow classmates, they all just ganged up on me.

I ultimately withdrew from the program last October. Fortunately at the time, I applied to a PA position back home, and I got it. That gave me the go-ahead to withdraw from the PA program. However, just a few days ago, I lost that job due to poor management decisions. Long story short, I was hired as a "floating" PA, traveling to many community hospitals to cover other PA's vacations. I trained for 2 months at one hospital, was deemed competent, then I was sent to another hospital. Now, the second hospital was vastly different from the one I first trained at....double the specimen volume with way more complex cancer cases. I only got two weeks of training with the PA there, then he took a month off, leaving me alone to process everything. I was so overwhelmed and there was nobody to help me, so I just dropped everything and left. Rather than completely mess up the specimens, I decided to just stop what I was doing and leave so that I wouldn't compromise patient care.

Two weeks was clearly not enough time for me to work independently at the new location. What the manager should have done was train me for a few months at THAT hospital (the busiest in the system, by the way) before sending me to the others. Best part about this was that the initial job ad itself as well as the offer letter I signed said NOTHING about me floating to different hospitals. It just listed ONE hospital...the one I passed my training at. The "floating" component was just told to me via word of mouth only. You can see the complete and utter disaster that upper management can have on an employee...which has occurred with me time and time again, and I just can't take it anymore. The whole reason that I was hired (in my opinion) was to cover these people so that they can sunbathe on a ****ing island. I probably would have been fired or laid off once they were all done taking their vacations. Used and abused...much like the entire medical field in general.

As such, I have a feeling this was the last straw and the ultimate death of the medical field as a career path for me. It's such a shame because I have all the brains in the world for it. The world has officially lost one of the best candidates to heal the sick. It's extremely depressing, and society itself is to fully blame for this.

My only alternative option here is to go into teaching high school biology. Luckily, I can qualify for a certificate in certain states with my bachelor's degree alone. I will absolutely not teach in any states that require a Master's degree because I swore off higher education for good. I will never attempt an advanced degree again unless it's either free or fully paid for by an employer.

Teaching biology would soothe my soul. Not only am I in complete control in the classroom (except for reporting to the principal and administration, but that's outside my 4 walls), I will get to instill in my students how to deal with life itself. Biology is the study of life and living things....and life I will teach them, that's for sure! I really have hit a life or death situation, and becoming a teacher is the best route I can take. It would give me the proper amount of control that I need, and I get to divulge my personal philosophies to my students while providing them with an exceptional education.

Here's to the death of medicine!

Last edited:
Here's a simple answer: Forget medical school, and forget the medical field entirely.

It's such a stupid idea to even attempt it unless you have the money to pay for it out of pocket. Med schools will LOVE you and accept you without question if you have the cash up front. Why do you think they ask for your social security number and parent information on the applications? Secondly, if you don't have the money, who on earth wants to go through 8+ years of additional education on top of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt? Certainly not me.

I have a bachelor's degree in Pathologist's Assistant. I graduated in 2006, and I've gone through about 5 jobs in the field since then. Besides the fact that I got screwed out of national ASCP certification since my program was not NAACLS-accredited, thereby hindering me from obtaining any PA job I want in the country, the field itself (as well as the entire medical field) is indeed a business....a greedy business solely focused on $$$ and never on the patient.

As a Pathologist's Assistant, I encountered the problem of productivity time and time again, to the point where they treat you like you're on an assembly line. I have also encountered multiple power struggles with managers and supervisors. None of my 5 jobs as a PA have lasted more than a year each. I even got accepted into a PA Master's degree last year, just to get ASCP certified. That backfired in my face because I was seen as a threat since I knew too much. The administration bad-mouthed me behind my back, and the Dean even suggested that I withdraw from the program. I even have copies of the e-mails they were mailing to each other about me as well as audio recordings documenting this! They made it clear that the program was for people who weren't exposed to the field, which is utter bull****. Rather than see me as a resource of valuable information and experience for my fellow classmates, they all just ganged up on me.

I ultimately withdrew from the program last October. Fortunately at the time, I applied to a PA position back home, and I got it. That gave me the go-ahead to withdraw from the PA program. However, just a few days ago, I lost that job due to poor management decisions. Long story short, I was hired as a "floating" PA, traveling to many community hospitals to cover other PA's vacations. I trained for 2 months at one hospital, was deemed competent, then I was sent to another hospital. Now, the second hospital was vastly different from the one I first trained at....double the specimen volume with way more complex cancer cases. I only got two weeks of training with the PA there, then he took a month off, leaving me alone to process everything. I was so overwhelmed and there was nobody to help me, so I just dropped everything and left. Rather than completely mess up the specimens, I decided to just stop what I was doing and leave so that I wouldn't compromise patient care.

Two weeks was clearly not enough time for me to work independently at the new location. What the manager should have done was train me for a few months at THAT hospital (the busiest in the system, by the way) before sending me to the others. Best part about this was that the initial job ad itself as well as the offer letter I signed said NOTHING about me floating to different hospitals. It just listed ONE hospital...the one I passed my training at. The "floating" component was just told to me via word of mouth only. You can see the complete and utter disaster that upper management can have on an employee...which has occurred with me time and time again, and I just can't take it anymore. The whole reason that I was hired (in my opinion) was to cover these people so that they can sunbathe on a ****ing island. I probably would have been fired or laid off once they were all done taking their vacations. Used and abused...much like the entire medical field in general.

As such, I have a feeling this was the last straw and the ultimate death of the medical field as a career path for me. It's such a shame because I have all the brains in the world for it. The world has officially lost one of the best candidates to heal the sick. It's extremely depressing, and society itself is to fully blame for this.

My only alternative option here is to go into teaching high school biology. Luckily, I can qualify for a certificate in certain states with my bachelor's degree alone. I will absolutely not teach in any states that require a Master's degree because I swore off higher education for good. I will never attempt an advanced degree again unless it's either free or fully paid for by an employer.

Teaching biology would soothe my soul. Not only am I in complete control in the classroom (except for reporting to the principal and administration, but that's outside my 4 walls), I will get to instill in my students how to deal with life itself. Biology is the study of life and living things....and life I will teach them, that's for sure! I really have hit a life or death situation, and becoming a teacher is the best route I can take. It would give me the proper amount of control that I need, and I get to divulge my personal philosophies to my students while providing them with an exceptional education.

Here's to the death of medicine!

Dafuq is this??

Glorious troll response... "I lost five jobs and a degree and even though I am the only common factor in those situations, it certainly isn't due to a personal flaw or weakness, clearly I am so awesome an entire national occupation has conspired against my intimidating perfection"