should i even TRY a top tier program or apply directly to a lower tier program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

i'm an IMG, and i recently got my step 1 scores: 226/94. i know that thy're not really high, but i've been told that they are not bad...

i know that many programs use the step 1 scores as a filter.

is there any point for me to even think about any top tier programs if i wanna go to Peds or IM ? or should i already be thinking about 2nd or 3rd tier programs?:confused::confused:

i know that there are many other factor involved in the process, but maybe someone can still give me an answer?

tnx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

i'm an IMG, and i recently got my step 1 scores: 226/94. i know that thy're not really high, but i've been told that they are not bad...

is there any point for me to even think about any top tier programs if i wanna go to Peds or IM ? or should i already be thinking about 2nd or 3rd tier programs?:confused::confused:

i know that there are many other factor involved in the process, but maybe someone can still give me an answer?

tnx

For peds that will be like the highest score they've ever seen.

Hi!

tnx

The IMG part is going to hurt you more than the score (unfair but true). I would take a few calculated longshots and see who wants to interview you, but realistically an IMG isn't going to get the same spot as a US senior with similar stats. Meaning that your numbers may look competitive for a top academic program but your IMG status may mean you are more likely going to be fighting for a more community based program that puts more weight on board scores and high in-service exam potential. Apply to a range, (and as an IMG, apply broadly) but don't be surprised if the smaller programs with less cache are the ones more interested. FWIW, I'm not sure programs are organized in "tiers" the way you are describing them. There are the more prestigious, academic oriented programs, and there are the community based programs, and lots of gray area in between, some paths more benign or malignant. Residency is a word of mouth business more than it is a business where things are ranked into tiers by places like US News, like perhaps premeds try to believe for med schools. The question for you is whether you want a more academic path or not, do the places you are looking offer fellowship opportunities and the like, and what your shots are as an IMG (which can knock you down a peg regardless of board scores).

LaughingSmiley.gif

Dude, that's just so wrong.

Hi!

tnx

First, I would suggest focusing on one field only, then apply broadly. Sure you should apply to few top-tier programs, it will not hurt, but don't count on it - especially for IM. If your major concern is to get into a stronger program, then do Peds. Good luck!

Um, yeah not so much. I just matched peds this season and the top peds programs draw many individuals with 240+ Step I scores, so I can tell you that's wrong. You obviously aren't in peds (from the looks of it, general surgery resident).

Last edited:
Agree w/above.
As an IMG you're likely to be shut out of the more "famous" IM programs just because they get a tremendous number of applicants, many with better numbers than you, and who are from schools the programs are more familiar with.
Your score is good enough to match in IM, I would think. You just need to apply broadly.

Just a suggestion. Take a look at the match lists for SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba and see who matched at programs that might interest you and start there.

thanks for all the replies!

it's been very helpful!