Should I even try? D.O/M.D or Caribbean M.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lezion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.50 science GPA
3.75 non science GPA
3.69 overall GPA
28-O MCAT score
(but I took it before I had taken physics or organic chemistry and only studied it for 3 weeks)

Application is in like 2 weeks!!!

Are there any M.D schools that would accept me outside the Caribbean?

I actually really like the philosophy behind D.O but it seems like everyone in my family thinks that they are homeopathic doctors or not real doctors and I think it would drive me crazy to have everyone ask me what a D.O is.

Are the Caribbean schools a huge horrible un-secure hassle?

I want to be a family doctor, and I would prefer M.D. because it would be annoying constantly telling everyone that I am a real doctor. If there was a FANTASTIC D.O program that made it worth the constant explanation to everyone that I was a real doctor, then I would consider going D.O. but I am already SUPER frustrated with having to explain OVER AND OVER what a D.O is and how they are real doctors to nearly EVERYONE I talk to about it.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. sorry for the barrage-- lots on my mind and I try to figure all of this out.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you care if someone doesn't know what a DO is? They practice medicine just as any MD would.

Your GPA looks good for MD programs. MCAT is a little low, but keep in mind that averages mean that there are people with lower scores getting in too.

I would avoid Caribbean schools.

Why do you care if someone doesn't know what a DO is? They practice medicine just as any MD would.

Your GPA looks good for MD programs. MCAT is a little low, but keep in mind that averages mean that there are people with lower scores getting in too.

my family members told me that they would attend a D.O to get their homeopathic medicine and supplements but see a M.D when they had a real serious issue. That really bothered me... that was why I got worried about being a D.O

Members don't see this ad :)

why steer clear of the caribbean ones? whats wrong with them?

if you don't like DO then by all means go for US md and carib MD as a backup.

one less competitor for me next cycle, lol.

if you don't like DO then by all means go for US md and carib MD as a backup.

one less competitor for me next cycle, lol.
well, i do like DO-- I actually like the philosophy better (treat the person more than just the symptoms), but I dont like that it seems like they arent recognized as doctors. Has that been your experience too?

my family members told me that they would attend a D.O to get their homeopathic medicine and supplements but see a M.D when they had a real serious issue. That really bothered me... that was why I got worried about being a D.O
This is your life. Stop caring about what your family thinks. You'll be a doctor, doing the same thing as your MD equivalents, and getting paid the same. This is about what your life will be over the next 30 years. Take more time to do work in hospitals, I've worked with a bunch of DO's, and no one has ever questioned them on it.

Simply put, DO is miles ahead of Carib. MD.

why steer clear of the caribbean ones? whats wrong with them?

Your chances to match even in family medicine From the Caribbean will be very slim by the time you are ready to match. There is more of a stigma toward Caribbean grads than toward DOs among people who actually know anything about medicine. If your family won't come see you, that is fine, you shouldn't be treating them anyway. No one else will care at all, especially if you list yourself as Dr lezion instead of lezion, DO. If you really want to practice medicine in the US, go DO, applying to some MD schools in the US as well in hopes of getting in there.

well, i do like DO-- I actually like the philosophy better (treat the person more than just the symptoms), but I dont like that it seems like they arent recognized as doctors. Has that been your experience too?

You are wrong, they are recognized as doctors and are licensed to practice as such everywhere in the US. There are a handful of people who wouldn't go to any doctor who wasn't educated at Harvard... Does that mean it wouldn't be worth being a doctor if you cant get in there?

Actual, real patients and colleagues will not give two farts that you are a DO and not MD. With your low MCAT, it is unlikely (though possible) you'll get an MD acceptance this cycle. What state are you from? If you're from Texas, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, and a few others I'd definitely apply MD. If you're from Cali, I'd say not likely. Your stats are competitive for DO schools as is. Just tell your family you got into medical school and where and don't specify that it's a DO school.