Should I even try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional above 30-year old with these stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.3+ sGPA....Shooting for a 27+ MCAT based on my previous AAMC practice tests. Been a RN (BSN) for 6+ years...I shadow 1 DO/MD (I have LOR from both physicians)...Minor ECs besides work...No volunteering. Should I even apply to DO if my MCAT score is only 27? I am not applying to MD even if my MCAT score is 30+ since I know that I have no chances due to my weak GPAs.

Members don't see this ad.

You should if you'd really like to pursue medicine. A 27 is still plenty competitive for DO, especially if you're willing to relocate.

You should if you'd really like to pursue medicine. A 27 is still plenty competitive for DO, especially if you're willing to relocate.
Dont mind to relocate to even Alaska if it is for medical school. What is the lowest mcat score that would still make me competitive for DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know one school told me a 24 would be good and I have seen a minimum of 21 (can't remember which school) but it had to be 7s across the board. I would say shoot high, but if you happen to get a 24 still apply. If you are game to sign up for the MCAT again, then take it as many times as you need to. Who cares?! It's a test and the adcoms will see that you are persistent (which says a lot in itself). If you are interested in medical school, the FIGHT for it.

Also, why the career change? Are there facets about being an RN that no longer suits you?

Last edited:
I know one school told me a 24 would be good and I have seen a minimum of 21 (can't remember which school) but it had to be 7s across the board. I would say shoot high, but if you happen to get a 24 still apply. If you are game to sign up for the MCAT again, then take it as many times as you need to. Who cares?! It's a test and the adcoms will see that you are persistent (which says a lot in itself). If you are interested in medical school, the FIGHT for it.

Also, why the career change? Are there facets about being an RN that no longer suits you?
It's a long story. Basically medicine it's something that I always wanted to do but could not do it because of major financial issue. I did the RN so I could get my family out of the deep hole we were in. Since I started working as a RN I felt like it was not for me because I am someone who like to solve puzzles and the RN job is somewhat very routine. I just cant see myself doing that kind of job for another 30 years. I did take some science classes while I was working knowing that when my financial situation is better I will apply to medical school.

Last edited:
I understand. Well go for it. What do you have to lose?! Would you rather look back on your life and WONDER or talk about "Shoulda Coulda Woulda"? Just do it! If you don't get in this cycle, at least you still have a career and can reapply. Most people can't say that.

Non-traditional above 30-year old with these stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.3+ sGPA....Shooting for a 27+ MCAT based on my previous AAMC practice tests. Been a RN (BSN) for 6+ years...I shadow 1 DO/MD (I have LOR from both physicians)...Minor ECs besides work...No volunteering. Should I even apply to DO if my MCAT score is only 27? I am not applying to MD even if my MCAT score is 30+ since I know that I have no chances due to my weak GPAs.

Your numbers are fine for many DO schools and (if memory serves) the HBCUs. Aim for an MCAT score of ~24. However, your lack of service to others may be a blemish on your application.

Your numbers are fine for many DO schools and (if memory serves) the HBCUs. Aim for an MCAT score of ~24. However, your lack of service to others may be a blemish on your application.
What MCAT score do you think I need for HBCUs?

What MCAT score do you think I need for HBCUs?

I would say aim for the mean of whatever school you're interested in. I don't have the numbers for the HBCUs but the mean MCATs are probably in the 24 to 26 range, so that should be your goal. Anything above that would be icing.

And if you can start a volunteer gig before submitting your AMCAS... :thumbup:

I would say aim for the mean of whatever school you're interested in. I don't have the numbers for the HBCUs but the mean MCATs are probably in the 24 to 26 range, so that should be your goal. Anything above that would be icing.

And if you can start a volunteer gig before submitting your AMCAS... :thumbup:
I am a member of a group of nurses that organize a health fair at my church every year. We screen church members for HTN, diabetes. Can I put that as EC or volunteering?

I am a member of a group of nurses that organize a health fair at my church every year. We screen church members for HTN, diabetes. Can I put that as EC or volunteering?

Remember, we're talking about the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS primary. This is where you put all your significant extracurricular commitments (jobs, volunteer gigs, student organizations, research, etc.).

The church thing is an "EC" (i.e., it goes in the Work/Activities section) and you should classify it as "Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical," assuming you dealt personally with patients (e.g., took BPs). Make sure to fully and accurately describe what you did

There is a great Work/Activities thread here on SDN where you can get more advice. Continue to reflect on what you've done in college and maybe you can remember some more volunteer stuff. :luck:

You sound good to go :) Never give up!

You should apply to MD schools as well.

Good luck on the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, am in nursing presently and studying, planning to make the switch to an MD/DO program at any school. Do not give up and follow your dream. Good luck on the MCAT, when are you planning on taking it?

Hi, am in nursing presently and studying, planning to make the switch to an MD/DO program at any school. Do not give up and follow your dream. Good luck on the MCAT, when are you planning on taking it?
Thanks....I am scheduled for September 11th...Did not do good in VR on my last practice test (TPR4)... (10PS...5VR...10BS)...Still working in VR to see of I can bump it up to 8+.

Someone (PotRoast??) posted a VR strategy in August before my August 4th test. You read the first paragraph to really understand it and then the following paragraph read it without paying too much attention to detail but enough to tie it back to the intro paragraph. Then you do the same thing for all the other paragraphs. I feel it really helped me. It is worth trying. I couldn't get more than a 5 VR on AAMCs but was scoring 8/9 on TPRH and EK.

Hopefully that made sense.

Someone (PotRoast??) posted a VR strategy in August before my August 4th test. You read the first paragraph to really understand it and then the following paragraph read it without paying too much attention to detail but enough to tie it back to the intro paragraph. Then you do the same thing for all the other paragraphs. I feel it really helped me. It is worth trying. I couldn't get more than a 5 VR on AAMCs but was scoring 8/9 on TPRH and EK.

Hopefully that made sense.
I will try it and let you know if it works for me...

Update: I withdrew my application due to a low mcat score...(7PS...4VR...9BS)...I am gearing up to take the mcat again in April next year. I will spend most of my study time in VR...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Temperature, hang in there.

I suggest you study like life depends on it to rock this next mcat, maybe do a 4 month program. There are so many resources you can use to boost your score. You should research a strong mcat study plan likely a 3 month plan and stick to it day in and day out.

Here is a great study plan you can use. If you truly want to get into medical school and are willing to commit the time please do this. Even though it is shooting for a 30+ you have to aim as high as possible and you'll easily land at least a 28.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10501784&postcount=821

Good luck

And by the way your stats are perfect for DO if you get a 26+ Mcat,

You sound similar to me, well, in a way I guess. I just discovered this section of the board and hoping to get advice as well. Good luck op. I don't want to high jack OPs thread so will start one later when everyone's awake lol....ah night nursing -___-

Update: I withdrew my application due to a low mcat score...(7PS...4VR...9BS)...I am gearing up to take the mcat again in April next year. I will spend most of my study time in VR...

work at it, you'll get it! best of luck!

Keep trying. I am a non-traditional 32 y/o with similar GPA and a 24 on MCAT (took it 3 times to get that score) VR was my toughest as well. Also worked as a PA for 5 years and did a Haiti medical mission(both I think helped me get accepted). I got accepted to a DO program and very excited. So keep trying if this is what you want to do.

Keep trying, although please do not take the MCAT when you are not ready. A 4 in VR suggests that you either weren't ready for the exam, or you had a breakdown during the exam. Please take extra time to evaluate factors that improve and reduce your performance on test day so that it doesn't happen again. Plus, of course, practice, but differently, because whatever strategy got you that 4 on VR should be changed. Good luck!

Keep trying, although please do not take the MCAT when you are not ready. A 4 in VR suggests that you either weren't ready for the exam, or you had a breakdown during the exam. Please take extra time to evaluate factors that improve and reduce your performance on test day so that it doesn't happen again. Plus, of course, practice, but differently, because whatever strategy got you that 4 on VR should be changed. Good luck!

VR has always been my problem....No matter what strategies I use, they never work...I just took AAMC# 6 and VR gives a big blow to my score (11PS/6VR/9BS). I used EK 101 and TPRH for verbal and I my scores have been 6-9 and I mostly got 8-9--but got 6 on few instances. But I feel like the reading on these AAMC VR are much difficult to understand...I have been reading a lot since day one after I got that 4 in VR, but it seems like these readings have not brought any result so far. I will continue to work in VR until I can bring it to an 8...Still have two months until I take the test....HERE I COME VR!!!

Last edited:
I started reading the economist, New York Times, psychology today (for social science selections), and New Yorker. I started it too late but could see that it helped. As mentioned in my early post, about the reading method by the other member. It helped too, but I started the week of my test. Try the method I explained and PM me and I will explain it more thoroughly if you have questions. This test can be frustrating but you can get through it.

especially if you're willing to relocate.
9.jpg

I am wiling to go anywhere in the US... I just wanna get into a medical school.

Update: 27 (9/9/9) on AAMC 4... Happy with the progress in VR.

That's a good improvement. So are you using the technique I suggested, or did you find something else? Keep it up! I'm rooting for you.

Yep... I hope that was not a fluke.... Thanks bro...