should I 'fess up to PA attempt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah_viola

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some non-pre-med advisor advise regarding some skeletons in the closet...

My question regards whether I should mention my previous intentions to go to PA school in my med school interview or application essay. The problem is that I spent my junior year at another liberal arts school that offered Anatomy and Physiology because it is a requirement for PA school. While I was there, I decided that I wanted to be a doctor, not a PA, so now I am preparing to apply this coming spring. I'm not sure how to address this, because I think I could come off as doubting my own capabillities, unsure of myself, etc, or it could show that I took this decision seriously, and ultimately learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable of in the process.

Should I take the offensive, and mention this in my essay/interview, or try to cover it up/make up some other excuse about why I went JYA there to save face?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at my name and what does it imply. On the amcas it ask if you have ever marticulated to an md school the answer is no. Like Clinton said don't ask don't tell.

I would take the "don't ask, don't tell" approach.

But if you switched from PA to (want to become an) MD with a reason that you want to express, then you can include it.

I was a Nursing major in freshmen year and I worked as an NA and also volunteered in the hospital and nursing home. From my experiences I knew that I didn't want to become a nurse. I wanted to be more involved in patient care....blah blah blah. So I switched to what I really wanted to do...become a doctor. Regardless, I still didn't include this tidbit in my essay. I mentioned that I was an NA and I volunteered but I didn't say I was a nursing major before I switched to bio/pre-med.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the previous posters...don't ask, don't tell.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry if it does come up. Tons of pre-med people have changed majors and career plans before finally choosing medicine. It seems that the people who haven't been pre-med their entire life have the advantage of being able to say, "I've tried other things. Now I know that THIS is what I want to do," while those of us (including myself :p ) who have been nothing but pre-med can't really say that. I think you will be fine either way. It's not like PA = Polygamous Alcoholic ;) . Good luck.

Originally posted by SouthernGirl
It's not like PA = Polygamous Alcoholic ;)

well but certainly, being a polygamous alcoholic would make her one of those "unique" people whose application stands out! ;) and would make for one hell of an "ethical dilemma" secondary essay response.

"i was torn; i didn't know if i should tell my prospective 4th wife about the two months i spent at the betty ford clinic. however, the 3rd wife was a little spiteful of my upcoming 4th marriage and threatened to let the cat out of the bag. in the end, i felt the most moral thing to do would be to come clean with all of the wives."