should i fly into newark airport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any negatives of flying into newark airport in new jersey.

i have interview in NY and the flights to newark are cheaper. I thought then i would take a cab.

any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

newdude said:

i have interview in NY and the flights to newark are cheaper. I thought then i would take a cab.

any thoughts.

Many taxi companies have fixed rates for going into the city from Newark. I think to Cornell, it's about $35. So, it seems ok. However, traffic tends to back up on the GW Bridge and Holland and Lincoln tunnels.

Take Newark ... depending on where you are going there is the NJ/NY rail that runs from the airport directly into NYC and will take you to madison square garden (with various stops on the way). The subway system is easy to navigate if you have it planned ahead of time and its also VERY cheap (and minimal traffic!).

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys

i'm going to NYMC in valhalla.
and i have never been to NY so i don't know much.

newdude said:
thanks guys

i'm going to NYMC in valhalla.
and i have never been to NY so i don't know much.
there are trains up to NYMC area, other than that I don't know much.

Didn't someone just post something about going up to NYMC?

Try doing a search or seeing what the NYMC site says about "directions" to the school. :luck:

I don't know form interview experience but I live in NY and have traveled A Lot.

You can take a train directly from Newark into Madison Square Garden. I am not sure if there are trains from Newark into Grand Central but I don't think so.

You can catch a cab from Madison Square Garden or just take the subway. Then there are trains from Grand Central up to Vallhala.

Hope that helps. It may save you money but its a little crazy to do.

You can always fly into Laguardia if JFk is too expensive as well.

newdude said:

any thoughts.

im from the NYMC area.....your airport options, in terms of proximity (and duration of travel from airport to NYMC) go in this order from best to worst: westchester county airport (HPN), laguardia, kennedy, newark.

you should, however, realize that you wont be able to take public transportation from HPN, you would essentially be forced to take a taxi. from the other airports you could take transportation into nyc and then a metro north train on the harlem line up to valhalla. not very direct but potentially cheaper.

a cab from newark straight to valhalla will take a long time. newark is south and west of new york city and valhalla is north and slightly east. my guess is an hour and twenty with good traffic. also, the george washington bridge and I95 at the level of the bronx can be a nightmare, especially during rush hour. i usually avoid the gw bridge and take the tappan zee instead. although longer, this route is usually faster.

let me know if you have more specific questions. good luck.

I just interviewed at NJMS and found it was cheaper to fly into JFK. On the way out from NYC to Newark I took the greyhound - traffic meant the trip took 90 minutes. On the way back I took the PATH train from Newark Penn station - $1.50 and it took 15 minutes to get to the World Trade Center site. Once there, you can quickly get anywhere in NYC - it's awesome!