Medical Should I focus on local community or abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I just wanted to be certain before I make any plans for the summer. I have been working with an organization to aid a war-torn country overseas by raising funds for medical supplies and other basic lifestyle necessities. I have the opportunity to go camp out for a week or two in the rural villages of said country this summer in the name of youth development for young children. I mainly want to go to see exactly how else I can help with long term projects there as I have strong ties to this place. Is this considered “voluntourism“? Technically I wouldn’t even need to mention this trip if it looks like “voluntourism” and can mention my contribution to long term projects there, if that helps.

I would appreciate any insight you have on if this looks bad and/or I should just put my time/energy on my local communities rather than an overseas country. I want to clarify that I do work with my local communities as well, so this overseas project would be in addition to that.

Thank you so much for your time and help!
No activity in and of itself ever looks bad. If you can credibly say you’re visiting a location that you have already invested time and effort in then I think it’s a plus.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.