Should I forget about allopathic?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by realruby2000, Aug 11, 2001.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

hey everyone,

im taking the mcat again in august... my scores are fallring around the 25-26 range...which i know are reasonable for D.O. schools. Im sure that 25's and 26's wont cut it for MD. schools so should I forget finishing my amcas? ( I sent in AACOMAS in back in july).

dont get me wrong here... i totally like DO philosophy. after shadowing one, i could easily picture myself as a holistic doc...
    but submitting an amcas is a lotta $$ so i dont wanna waste it if i wont get in..

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're really scrounging for money then don't bother doing AMCAS.... then again, you may never know....

4. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member

Medical Student
    My crystal ball is on the fritz, but I say that if you think you want to be an M.D. then you should scrounge up the money. Why? Because you don't want to wonder "what if I had applied M.D.?"

5. grahmcracker

grahmcracker Member

Be realistic and look at the rest of your bio. If you have a great gpa (3.5+) and good medical volunteer experience (1-2yrs hosp), you have a great chance of getting into an MD school.

A friend of mine got into Baylor Medical school in Texas with a 23 on his MCAT. Their MCAT average is 32. So follow your heart.

But ultimately...as I have seen personally...you will be getting the same education of information no matter what school you go to. The real difference in education is what you "do" with it.

Having a diploma with a big name and having the letters "MD" behind your name will probably only aid you if you have political ambitions. The patients don't care what school you went to....they care about what "kind" of doctor you are: warm and caring or cold and insensitive.

6. eyedea

eyedea Member

That couldn't be more ture.

7. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

by the way...the gpa is 3.6... sci is 3.7... i just dont want to go through all that amcas chaos if i dont think i have to...

wow...how did i become a senior member?
    :rolleyes:

8. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member

Apply where you feel your heart is. Don't be discouraged because you feel you don't have the numbers....there are ways to compensate. I had barely had below a 3.5 science gpa, and a 29mcat but got into a private out of state and a UC school. good luck.

9. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]

As every has express, do what you feel is right for you.... You're numbers look very promising. Like wyldstyle, it is possible. With those numbers you have a fighting chance with an osteopathic school, but you don't want to look back and wonder what if's.... again, the decision is yours....

BTW, you became a senior member because you've posted beyond 50 post ;)