Should I get a gift/card for a student host?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagueofDravenMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
^ a current first year med student is hosting me for a night. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessary but it wound be appreciated. Just get something simple like starbucks or amazon and keep it under $50

Brought a $25 gift card to Starbucks for my hosts, it was appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would like to give your host something, how about a treat from your hometown? Perhaps a bag of coffee from your favorite cafe?

A piece of food or pastry is probably more than would be expected already.

Reactions: 1 user
from the host perspective I wouldn't find this necessary. Many of us have used student hosts when we were in the application process and are happy to pay it forward

Reactions: 1 users
Never necessary, but a little token is, if you are so inclined, appreciated! I would say $10 or less is appropriate, or even just a nice note!

Reactions: 4 users
Not necessary but it wound be appreciated. Just get something simple like starbucks or amazon and keep it under $50

Under $50!? That seems like a lot. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting anything over $10.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you bake at all? I find showing up with some banana bread or other baked treats is always a nice gesture. It is by no means necessary, though.

Reactions: 1 users
If your host drinks - you can't go bad with a bottle of wine. Or if you're going a bit far, something local is always nice. Whenever I go far from home and need a gift for a host, local maple syrup is a go to since I'm from New England.

Coffee is also always a winner and so are gift cards, especially for coffee.

I bought my hosts dinner and wrote thank you cards.

Under $50!? That seems like a lot. I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting anything over $10.

Haha you just know there's someone out there that gave totally inappropriate gifts in hopes it would somehow increase their chance of acceptance.

^ a current first year med student is hosting me for a night. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This seems to be settled, but I took my hosts out to dinner and used it as an opportunity to ask any last minute questions about the school before my interview. They were more than happy to walk me through the day so I felt confident going in for the interview :)