Should I get a recommendation letter from this professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clevertooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a B- and C+ in Orgo but this professor knows that I worked hard, should I ask him for a rec?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't ask him. The point of a recommendation letter is so the person recommending you can attest to the fact that you're able to handle the heavy workload in medical school. Many, many premeds work very hard, but the ones who are accepted are those who can perform well. I would only ask professors who gave you (A)s and (A-)s.

VFrank said:
I wouldn't ask him. The point of a recommendation letter is so the person recommending you can attest to the fact that you're able to handle the heavy workload in medical school. Many, many premeds work very hard, but the ones who are accepted are those who can perform well. I would only ask professors who gave you (A)s and (A-)s.

Exactly. Or you could also ask a teacher who noticed a significant progress of your grades between 2 courses ( happened to me in English ). If it works the same way as in Canada, try also asking a teacher who knows you on a more personal level, given that you really aced his course too. Anyway, Good luck ! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but only if you know him VERY well and he can attest that despite your average grades you are a hardworker and had a solid grasp of the material.

Tippy007 said:
Yes, but only if you know him VERY well and he can attest that despite your average grades you are a hardworker and had a solid grasp of the material.

Obviously, though, there isn't a solid grasp of the material with a B- and a C+.

VFrank said:
Obviously, though, there isn't a solid grasp of the material with a B- and a C+.

Even though my grades might say otherwise, I felt I really grasped the material well. When it came time for exams, I just couldnt find enough time to finish some mechanisms, reactions etc. Thats my weakness, and I have to work on that when it comes time for MCAT.

But anyway I appreciate all your replies. I don't think I'm going to ask him for a rec, still have like two years to go. But I was just wondering if schools care more about recs from organic professors since med schools focus on orgo grades...