Should I get a tutor for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLH1317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on the MCAT and realize that Kaplan offers private tutors for the MCATs. I was wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea? Has anyone taken a private tutor? does it even help?

Members don't see this ad.

I was doing some research on the MCAT and realize that Kaplan offers private tutors for the MCATs. I was wondering if anyone thinks that is a good idea? Has anyone taken a private tutor? does it even help?
I'm a Kaplan instructor and have done some private tutoring for them also. I recommend that you *not* hire a tutor through Kaplan, as the charges are pretty exorbitant for a college student, and most of that money is not going to the tutor. Instead, contact the department for the subject you need help with at your school, and ask for a list of grad students who tutor. So for example, if you need help with organic, then contact the chem department and ask for a list of organic chem grad students who are willing to tutor. You'll pay a much more reasonable price, and the grad students are often teaching that subject for the department anyway.

How much a tutor can help you depends on you. Sometimes I get the impression that students think if they just throw enough money away on tutors and courses, this alone will guarantee them a good score. But nothing--no course, no tutor--will ever substitute for you working hard and putting the proper amount of effort into your studying. If you're going to use a tutor, you will get the most out of your money by coming to your sessions prepared and with a list of questions and/or problems that you want to go over with the tutor.

:luck: to you. :)