Dental Should I get an MPH or MBA to improve my GPA for Dental School Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck between choosing a masters in public health or an MBA. I just graduated from undergrad May 2019 and will be taking my DAT shortly. However, my cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 2.9 and I don't really have any letters (dentist I shadowed decided he didn't want to write me one) so realistically my chances are pretty slim to nothing so I want to get started on my masters as soon as possible. If it's a 2 year program, is there still a chance a school will accept me in this cycle (say January/February) if they see my grades from the first semester?

I am debating between an MPH and MBA because although I really want to pursue a career in dentistry, I know my chances are slim so in the long run, I want a masters that could benefit me if this thing doesn't work out.

The MBA will not be looked upon favorably by dental schools. You need a science-based Masters to show you can handle a rigorous course load, because dental school is a lot of classes (7+) at the same time. I wouldn't recommend you apply before you have your DAT scores in hand though. Also, in regards to a 2-yr program, I don't think schools will accept you after only having done one semester - I think they'd want you to complete your Masters. Try to look for 1-yr SMP programs instead of an MPH or MBA.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think either of those options are best for you right now without a DAT score. Work hard on doing VERY well on that exam and you may end up saving yourself a year and a lot of money because that score will be weighed more heavily than a lateral degree. If you don't get in, then do a post-bacc program. If you still don't get in, do a SMP. Then retake your DAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.