Should i get into the USMLE etc process as an IMG? I'm a 32 year old gastroenterologist and an attending in my country.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myriam-gastro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been reading alot about the process that IMGs have to go through in order to be licensed to practice in the US.
I'm a 32 year old attending in gastro in my home country. For personal reasons, i'm considering moving to the US.
I'm asking your honest opinion about:
The feasibility?
My chances to become a practicing gastroenterologist in the US?
How long would each part of the process take?
So in general, do you think it's a reasonable and good idea.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

GI is one of the most competitive fellowships in the US. You'd be starting from the beginning and doing 3 years of IM residency and an additional 3 years of GI fellowship if you got into one so 6 years before becoming an attending again.

Page 4 https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-Charting-Outcomes-SMS.pdf
758 total applicants for 496 GI spots. Match rate for IMG was ~50%, which is around what the residency match rate is so no one can answer is it worth it for you as it's subjective. You can take step and if you score very high doors will start to open for you and you might be able to get an IM residency at an academic center to help boost chances of a fellowship.

GI is one of the most competitive fellowships in the US. You'd be starting from the beginning and doing 3 years of IM residency and an additional 3 years of GI fellowship if you got into one so 6 years before becoming an attending again.

Page 4 https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-Charting-Outcomes-SMS.pdf
758 total applicants for 496 GI spots. Match rate for IMG was ~50%, which is around what the residency match rate is so no one can answer is it worth it for you as it's subjective. You can take step and if you score very high doors will start to open for you and you might be able to get an IM residency at an academic center to help boost chances of a fellowship.
Thank you for your insight. Last question, what is the step 1 score i should aim for and how long does it take to pr

Thank you for your insight. Last question, what is the step 1 score i should aim for and how long does it take to prepare for each step?

Members don't see this ad :)
Last question, what is the step 1 score i should aim for and how long does it take to prepare for each step?

Depends on you, dedicated study time for step 1 in med school is 1-2 months and then you'd study progressively less for the following ones. You've been out of school a while and step 1 is all pre-clinical information so might take you longer to adequately prepare. As for what score to aim for? I mean aim for 300 and see what happens but realistically if you score below a 220 then it might be time to reevaluate your choice to practice in the states. If you can score 250+ then a lot of places that are normally competitive will at least look at your application which will help matching academic internal medicine.

Depends on you, dedicated study time for step 1 in med school is 1-2 months and then you'd study progressively less for the following ones. You've been out of school a while and step 1 is all pre-clinical information so might take you longer to adequately prepare. As for what score to aim for? I mean aim for 300 and see what happens but realistically if you score below a 220 then it might be time to reevaluate your choice to practice in the states. If you can score 250+ then a lot of places that are normally competitive will at least look at your application which will help matching academic internal medicine.