Veterinary Should I get job experience or volunteer experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am considering vet school and I’m currently working as a research technician in a microbio lab (3 years). I interviewed for a veterinary medical technician job and was offered it (I don’t have a license however). I would have to leave my current position which is pretty flexible with hours for this new position which is more related to the field. I hoped to do more volunteerships in my current position since it has more flexibility and it seems like I wouldn’t be able to take on as many volunteer opportunities if I took this new position.

My question is, do vet schools prefer to see more volunteerships or paid work experience in the vet med field?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)
Regardless if it is paid/volunteer, you do need to get experience in the vet world. Working in a micro lab is cool, but not remotely related to vet work.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much for your response! I am def planning on volunteering at a clinic (I was but stopped because of covid) and at a lab animal facility. I can probably take on even more volunteer opportunities in my current job since it is more flexible. But in the new job I would be able to do maybe 1 or 2 volunteer ships with limited hours. I also want to go into research in the vet med field and the new job is NOT research based (if that makes a difference).

So my question is, is it better to have more experience in volunteer ship or more work experience? Thanks again! :)
It's hard to say without a full accounting of what activities you already have completed.

Hi! I’ve only done 40 hrs of volunteering at a vet clinic due to the pandemic. I plan to do much more and won’t be applying for some time. I should be volunteering at a lab animal medicine facility soon as well. Thanks!
I don't think vet schools have a strong preference for volunteer versus paid positions in the field for an application. I would ask the schools. In my opinion, you seem to be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.