Quantcast

Should I get more clinical experience or does this count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

Reaction score
I have 78 hours of volunteering in a hospital and have been volunteering at a free clinic for the homeless for a semester which I plan on continuing. My doubt is that the free clinic isn't actually counting as clinical experience. I basically help on the administrative side and mostly help the patients in filling out forms to be referred to other clinics..etc? There are CNAs in the clinic that are the only ones taking vitals, checkups etc..? Should I volunteer in a hospital in the future or maybe try getting a CNA license (I could probably easily volunteer at the clinic with this)? Or am I okay with what I've done?

The hospital I volunteered at was back home and allowed me to get great patient contact, however, the hospital by my univ has a ton of volunteers and most have said they're doing nothing a lot of the time so I don't just want to accumulate more hours.

Thanks!

Lamel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the time direct patient contact is rare in volunteering. Keep it up at the free clinic, learn as much as you can, and you'll be fine.

Maybe you can volunteer at the hospital during summers when you are home?

Reinvented_Virginian

22 y/o School Teacher & ROADS Hopeful
Reaction score
I have 78 hours of volunteering in a hospital and have been volunteering at a free clinic for the homeless for a semester which I plan on continuing. My doubt is that the free clinic isn't actually counting as clinical experience. I basically help on the administrative side and mostly help the patients in filling out forms to be referred to other clinics..etc? There are CNAs in the clinic that are the only ones taking vitals, checkups etc..? Should I volunteer in a hospital in the future or maybe try getting a CNA license (I could probably easily volunteer at the clinic with this)? Or am I okay with what I've done?

The hospital I volunteered at was back home and allowed me to get great patient contact, however, the hospital by my univ has a ton of volunteers and most have said they're doing nothing a lot of the time so I don't just want to accumulate more hours.

Thanks!

Volunteering hours in the 100's would of course look better than 78, but this isn't going to make or break your application. I would definitely stay with the free clinic, especially if you intend to pursue family medicine. There are many mission schools that have programs geared towards low-income communities (coupled with NHSC, the possibilities are limitless). This could be something that could define you, if you mention it in your Personal Statement that would make it very beneficial.

As long as you're learning, and can spin it in a way that helps you, you're fine.

Reaction score

Thanks!
The free clinic experience allows face-to-face interaction with patients whom you assist in a useful way. It doesn't get much better than that. I think you're fine.

Reactions: 1 user

amar314

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! So would I be able to put down the clinic as clinical volunteering or non-clinical?

tima

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to observe in other departments like ER or trauma? Maybe ask a few attendings in person for shadowing opportunities. There are a lot of beds in the open so you can do lots of observing form a distance compared to primary care visits.

amar314

Reaction score
Is it possible to observe in other departments like ER or trauma? Maybe ask a few attendings in person for shadowing opportunities. There are a lot of beds in the open so you can do lots of observing form a distance compared to primary care visits.
Thanks! I've previously looked at the ED and honestly since it's the one everyone wants there's not much we can do there. I'll have to bite the bullet though and try to find somewhere to get a bit more experience.