Should I get more hospital clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore right now and I have most areas of my application coming together. This semester I volunteered at a rural hospital near my campus for about 50 hours but I absolutely hated it. I never had tasks to do but I wasn't allowed to do homework or study. I talked to patients occasionally but the patients on my wing were elderly and didn't want to talk for too long. Basically, I spent about 45 minutes actively volunteering and then 3 hours and 15 minutes watching tv in the waiting room. It was terrible, and it felt like a huge waste of time.

So my question: Is 50 hours of hospital volunteering too little? I plan on shadowing physicians this summer and working, but if I really need to get more clinical experience, what can I do to bolster this?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You really should do at least 100 hours, even then it's pretty low if it's the only place you volunteer at. If I was you, I'd get to 100 then do something that actually is productive (clinic/retirement home/etc).

Find a new place to volunteer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you need to have at least 100 hours. However, it's important to also find a volunteer opportunity that you find meaningful. Find a better place to volunteer at.

Thanks for the comments! I do other non-clinical volunteer work also, so this isn't my only venue of volunteering. But I'll try to look for some other hospitals or clinics to volunteer with this summer.

Thanks for the comments! I do other non-clinical volunteer work also, so this isn't my only venue of volunteering. But I'll try to look for some other hospitals or clinics to volunteer with this summer.

Non-clinical volunteering is also good! However, clinical volunteering is essential. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users