Should I get more involved with leadership if I want to specialize or grades all that matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snape_GOAT

Reaction score
I'm a D2, and I am thinking about ortho. I didn't do much in terms of volunteering or holding leadership positions in my first year. I focused on my classes instead in order to get the best grades that I can get. I did do a day here and there to host webinars and help set up for events at school that I found interesting but that's pretty much it.

I want to focus on keeping my grades up in D2 because rank is most important and also get started in research (trying to find something I'm interested in). Should I make more of an effort to get on the e-board of some clubs or is it better to just focus on grades, research, and volunteer for random things I find interesting specifically for ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

All of the above is the best, but class rank is most important by far. Next, I’d focus on research over leadership positions.
(I’m an orthodontist and hold a part time faculty position at an orthodontic program)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully you're at a DS that has an ortho residency. Spend time in the ortho residency dept. Ask to help out with the ortho residents and ortho attending's research projects.

Reactions: 1 user