aa4

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
need some advice...
i got into BU's Master's in medical sciences and Gtown's SMP, both of which can be completed in a year. Should I go to one of those (which one), or find a research job at a university and take courses. i am applying this year for 2007.
my stats:
mcat: 28, i plan to retake in aug
gpa: 3.44, science 3.4 from nyu
2 years of clinical research experience

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
TX
prettydoc.blogspot.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I would recommend going to one of these programs. The difference comes down to whether you want to apply for 07 or 08. If you want to apply for 07 go to Gtown, if you want to apply for 08 go to BU.

starflower

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I have read, getting a masters is a good choice, and a high percentage of applicants with this degree get excepted. I'm not sure which one, though.

About the Ads
OP
A

aa4

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i'm leaning towards not getting my masters. it costs a lot of money, and i will have to do exceptionally well in order for it to help me. I was told from people who graduated Georgetown that a 3.5 from the program isn’t going to help me much.
Do you guys think that my current gpa and maybe a 32 on my mcats will get me in to a decent medical school?

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
I would do the georgetown masters because while the BU program CAN Be done in a year, MOST people DO NOT do BU's program in a year.

It is easier to the gtown program in a year. You'll get good experiences at both but its definitely worth it with your GPA to get the extra boost that a masters can give you. Your chances coming out of a program like that are higher then if you just reapply and work.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
aa4 said:
i'm leaning towards not getting my masters. it costs a lot of money, and i will have to do exceptionally well in order for it to help me. I was told from people who graduated Georgetown that a 3.5 from the program isn’t going to help me much.
Do you guys think that my current gpa and maybe a 32 on my mcats will get me in to a decent medical school?

I disagree with what you heard from people in the program. My friend just completed the Gtown program and applied 3 times before getting into medical school. The second time he applied he didn't do anything but hold two jobs and he had a similar GPA and slightly higher MCAT then you. He didn't get in anywhere. The 3rd time he applied he did the program and got one interview and acceptance to which he credits the Gtown program. I'm pretty sure that is what helped him because the school he got in looks highly upon masters or postbac trends that are positive.

Many schools like to see positive upward trends so it will help at state schools a lot of times or at mid tier ranked schools. A lot of his friends also got in after coming out of that program with him. Only one didn't get in anywhere after doing it.

About the Ads