Richanesthesiologist

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am about to conclude a 10 week long summer REU program at a public university. I was wondering if I should (or must) buy a gift for my mentor. He has really helped me on my project and we literally work across the desk from each other. I was thinking of giving him a $25 gift card. Also, should I buy my PI the same gift? He and I haven't interacted as much as he's rarely in his office, but I feel like he would be the person to write me a rec. letter. I have no problem with the money and will also add the gift card into a thank you letter.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am about to conclude a 10 week long summer REU program at a public university. I was wondering if I should (or must) buy a gift for my mentor. He has really helped me on my project and we literally work across the desk from each other. I was thinking of giving him a $25 gift card. Also, should I buy my PI the same gift? He and I haven't interacted as much as he's rarely in his office, but I feel like he would be the person to write me a rec. letter. I have no problem with the money and will also add the gift card into a thank you letter.
A heartfelt thank you note would be sufficient. Home-baked goodies are often welcomed, though I suggest they be available to the entire group.

Giving a cash gift before asking for a LOR is open to misinterpretation.

Reactions: 3 users

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
A heartfelt thank you note would be sufficient. Home-baked goodies are often welcomed, though I suggest they be available to the entire group.

I agree to all 3 statements.

I think its nice of you to be considerate but I think something more personal and less financial will be sufficient.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Flying Penguin

SDN Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)

I am leaving my summer research lab too -- baked goods sounds like a fabulous idea! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 9, 2016
Don't advise a cash gift card. Instead, a handwritten thank you note/card is fine.

[Later, when you graduate from medical school, you can send them a bottle of champagne and say, "Remember me? Thank you from a new Doctor to an old Doctor."] :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Jul 27, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have always given a handmade thank you note (I'm pretty crafty so I've got tons of stationary stuff). The thank you note is always a good idea. Baked goods are always a plus!

However, with gift cards it can be a bit tricky. I have always given my mentors (if they are graduate students) a Starbucks or whatever coffee shop is on campus gift card. It's not necessary but for me when PhD students take time out of their projects to help and teach I just try to do a little extra of a thank you. Plus I know they really don't make much. As for the PI a thank you note is sufficient.

mistafab

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think a gift for the mentor is fine since you know the person well. However, I strongly advise against any gift with cash value like gift cards, unless it is a restaurant or something that you would always go to. Candy, donuts, and brownies, these are good gifts that never come off wrong.

For the PI - I would advise just a nice note. Your PI will likely have your mentor write the letter anyway, and the PI will look for your mentor for input regardless. Don't sweat it much, a nice letter is a good gesture.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads