Should I give chocolates to my recommenders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to thank my recommenders by giving them chocolate and a nice card. Is this a good idea? 1 of my recommenders is a man, and I'm a female. Is it inappropriate to give him chocolates? Should I just stick with a card to him, and chocolates to the women recommenders?

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

chocolates for guy recommenders is perfectly acceptable. I'm sure that all of your recommenders will appreciate your gifts.

Only the best, not the supermarket kind, or it could be counter-productive.

Members don't see this ad :)
brickmanli, you're not serious, right?

I would feel uncomfortable doing this. What is wrong with a simple thankyou card? In my school/city, doing this will make people (and the interviewer) think that I am kissing their arse.

I'm just saying if you do it, you should do it right. Personally, I would stick with just a card. An expensive card if you really like the interviewer. Plus he might stick the whole box of chocolates into your file and that could get pretty messy.

Oh, okay, so it's best to stick with a card? I can do that too! Please tell me what you think. Does everyone just give a card?

Also, I'm close with 3 of my recommenders. I don't see the other one too much, but I do work in his lab. Should I just do cards? I had thought that everyone gives chocolates, but if they don't, then I'll just do a card.

Thanks!!

I gave my recommender nice :) thank you card

I gave chocolates to my HS recommenders (when I applied to college). But that's cause I thought everyone did. :)

For my college recommenders I sent them each a nice big card. I didn't give out chocolates. i don't think that's necessary. I thanked them on the spot and then a card about a week later.

I'm planning to give them a card in about 2 weeks, right before I leave campus? Is that good, even though I gave them the recommendation forms etc in February? The letters aren't due until June 1, so I thought I'd give them the card after they already wrote it. Is this okay?

Also, what do people usually write in the thank you cards besides "thank you for writing blah blah" and that you appreciate it. Do you mention anything about learning a great deal in their class, or just stick to thank you for the letter and you appreciate it?

Thanks

I was a little impaired a moment ago. I thought you were talking about interviewers. But my advice stays pretty much the same even if you are pretty close to one of my recommenders. Maybe you can give him/her something for some other reason.

Hi Brickmanli,

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure what you mean exactly about giving them chocolates for another reason...do you mean writing in the thank you card "thank you for letter, thank you for mentoring me, etc??" so adding more to the letter than just thank you for the letter?

No....no chocolates to interviewers, only possibly letter of recommendation writers. I hope other people didn't think I meant interviewers too. Yikes! That sounds like it would be sucking up...people don't give anything to interviewers right? Just a thank you in the mail?

Thanks

I'm sure if you're close to them, a sincere thank you will be more than adequate. I'm sure they get a thrill out of seeing your appreciation. --Trek