This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swmnbn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is too long for anyone to read but I don't know where else to turn to, I'd like some realistic advice. I have never ever wanted to become anything else or seen myself becoming anything else other than a doctor. I am just worried about my transcript and how schools will see me. I'm constantly comparing myself to where I am and where my friends are - it seems its taken me much more time and money to get where they are. I have 1 w and two F's on my transcript. One in the very beginning of my community college career in Biology and another in a computing class of my second semester in community college. My Withdraw comes in much later. I have been at this community college for a while now I didn't anticipate it taking so long but will finally be transferring to a four year which I plan to major in neuroscience at. It's taken me over 8 semesters because I took 2-3 classes at a time per semester. I'm 22 now, I have an upward trend of a 3.5 gpa which I know will continue to grow. Do I even have a chance at med school? Should I save my time and money? Am I a hopeless case with unrealistic dreams? My transcript is not the cleanest and it's not the prettiest to look at. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You still have a shot!
Just make sure to explain yourself somewhere on a personal statement or what not.
Keep working hard and make sure you have that upward GPA trend because a 3.5 from CC and a lesser GPA from a 4 year institute doesn't look that great
After that, destroy the MCAT's and I am sure med schools and adcoms won't pay much attention to it if they see improvement, because to be honest, s*** happens!
@Goro am I wrong?

You also need to take more than 2-3 classes a semester, start working on your ECs, etc.. How many hours do you have so far? Realize you can't be a part time student anymore. Med school is not part time. Have you taken your prerequisites? What is your sGPA? A four year school with a neuroscience major is hard work. So be realistic and don't assume your GPA will continue to grow.
Of course you have a chance but you have your work cut out for you!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize in advance if this is too long for anyone to read but I don't know where else to turn to, I'd like some realistic advice. I have never ever wanted to become anything else or seen myself becoming anything else other than a doctor. I am just worried about my transcript and how schools will see me. I'm constantly comparing myself to where I am and where my friends are - it seems its taken me much more time and money to get where they are. I have 1 w and two F's on my transcript. One in the very beginning of my community college career in Biology and another in a computing class of my second semester in community college. My Withdraw comes in much later. I have been at this community college for a while now I didn't anticipate it taking so long but will finally be transferring to a four year which I plan to major in neuroscience at. It's taken me over 8 semesters because I took 2-3 classes at a time per semester. I'm 22 now, I have an upward trend of a 3.5 gap which I know will continue to grow. Do I even have a chance at med school? Should I save my time and money? Am I a hopeless case with unrealistic dreams? My transcript is not the cleanest and it's not the prettiest to look at. What do I do?
Rising GPA trends are always good. You definitely still are viable for med school.

You still have a shot!
Just make sure to explain yourself somewhere on a personal statement or what not.
Keep working hard and make sure you have that upward GPA trend because a 3.5 from CC and a lesser GPA from a 4 year institute doesn't look that great
After that, destroy the MCAT's and I am sure med schools and adcoms won't pay much attention to it if they see improvement, because to be honest, s*** happens!
@Goro am I wrong?
Thank you for your response, you've given me a little boost of confidence. I intend to keep working harder the further I get along.

You also need to take more than 2-3 classes a semester, start working on your ECs, etc.. How many hours do you have so far? Realize you can't be a part time student anymore. Med school is not part time. Have you taken your prerequisites? What is your sGPA? A four year school with a neuroscience major is hard work. So be realistic and don't assume your GPA will continue to grow.
Of course you have a chance but you have your work cut out for you!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I have about 51 credits so far. I am almost done with my prerequisites. I have had nothing but A's in my science's and Math's except for one C that I got that was used to average out the F from my biology class my first semester. What EC do you recommend I start doing? And what are the best ways to go about getting opportunities?

Its feasible that you could transfer to a 4 year and ace all your classes, then you 2 F's and a W won't matter much if you can explain it well.