Medical Should I give up my dream of medical school after being charged with a felony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advise and I going through a difficult time trying to make a decision if medical school is still for me. I didn't know who else to contact so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am an international student from on a F-1 visa currently completing my bachelors in neuroscience and psychology. My grades are average and I was planning on doing a 1-year special master's program to pad my academic record. But as I was finishing up my senior year last semester, I was handling some very harsh situations and my mental health got out of hand and I got into trouble. I was arrested for a felony charge for setting fires. I suffered a brief psychotic break and was having delusions which lead to me setting the fires but no one was harmed and I had no intention of harming anyone. I have gotten help which is being continued and I plan to always take care of my mental health from now onwards.

But due to the incident I was not able to graduate on time and will be taking an extra year to finish school as I was also suspended from my college. My court date has also been getting postponed due to COVID and the trial hasn't began yet and I am not sure what charges I will end up with on my record. But right now I am just having a hard time figuring out if I can still go to medical school with such a record.

I am still very passionate about becoming a doctor and I would do anything to undo what happened but since that is not possible, I am ready to do anything to better myself. If I get my charges lowered to a misdemeanor with probation and the record would go away after some time or even if the charges don't get lowered, will I still have a chance at still getting into medical school?

Thank you so much for your time.

I think that if this charge is dropped, and you are exonerated, you will still have a chance to get into medical school. If you plead guilty or are found guilty, your medical career is likely over. There are many non-felons who hope to attend medical school, and the risk involved with admitting a felon to medical school is extremely high; therefore, medical schools are likely to choose someone without a felony charge.

I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree 100% with tantacles.

Also, OP, you have to get your mental health under 100% control. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.