Should I give up on becoming a doctor? (even though I really don't want too)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legend277

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a good 1st year in college. My 1st year Gpa is a 3.6 which is not that bad for a pre-med student. My 2nd year didn't go that well. My first and second semesters for my 2nd year are all W's. These withdraws are due to medical problems that happened to me during these semesters, so I don't know if that helps my case or not when it comes to me applying for med school. Altogether I have 8 withdraws on my record. So here I am doing my second year over again and wondering If i should just give up on trying to become a doctor, since i have 8 withdraws on my record now. And if i shouldn't give up than what should i do? Being a doctor has always been a dream of mine for a long time and i really don't want to give it up.

(Please forget about my feelings and be totally honest on my situation. Because I don't want to do all the work that is necessary for becoming a doctor just for me to get shot down by med schools because of my withdraws. Also my medical problems that I had, which caused me to drop all my classes is fixed.)

Members don't see this ad.

Having a year of Ws due to illness or injury is different than registering for 15 credits every semester and dropping 3 in order to maintain a 4.0 GPA. A med school will not penalize someone in the former situation while taking a dim view of someone in the latter.

Keep on moving forward.

Reactions: 3 users