Should I give up on medicine/life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdjbdjbd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been an academic screwup for a long time. Started UG (top private) years ago, had too many withdrawals, was made to leave for a year, cleaned up for a few good terms, then crashed again. Still haven't finished degree. I have several grades below a C. GPA is 3.0, haven't done science prereqs yet (no MCAT either). Should I even bother trying to turn it all around?

My plan right now is to finish my non-science degree, graduate a few years late, and then go from there. But I'm not sure the best post-bac program in the world could get me into a US med school ...

Am I resigned to a life of mediocrity? Clearly in the past I've been lazy and had mental issues, so I couldn't be a med student let alone doctor then. The thing is, I'm not sure I can get any non-dead end job at this point. I'm ready to kill myself because life without a good job is meaningless to me.

If I were to stick it out, should I do my science classes at my expensive private school and be a conventional, though older, college premed? Or should I go ahead and graduate and do it as a postbac?

If I were to give up on medicine, should I just kill myself and stop disappointing everyone around me? Life without being a doctor doesn't seem worth living.

Members don't see this ad.

Seek professional help ASAP

This thread has been reported by several members due to the statement by the OP about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and the concerns expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.