Should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted483737

I've been studying for the MCAT for about 6 months. I started taking a Princeton Review class in February and dropped out of it in early March since I didn't think it was helping me. I didn't study that much for two weeks in March while trying to find a new tutor. Throughout all of this time, I was still taking Physics II with a useless professor and working part time. I was studying the entire time and really focusing on Physics since that's my main weak area. I didn't focus on Gen Chem, Orgo or Bio that much, but probably didn't devote enough time.

I finally cut my hours drastically in mid April while still going to school (1 class) and doing volunteer work. I'm still not done reviewing all of the content (eg. most of Orgo, some Gen Chem, some Physics, some Bio) but I want to take the test on June 23 so I can apply this cycle.

My score went from a 20 (in February) to a 26 (May). My scores have been the following: 20, 22, 24, 25, 23, 26. Good improvement in Bio (6 to a 10), but not much movement in PS. Verbal is stuck at between a 9 and 11.

Is it unrealistic to take the test in June? If I haven't improved to my target score in 6 months, should I just throw in the towel and give up on this cycle, take the test in September and hope to god I get in? I really want it, but I know that <30 MCAT won't get me anywhere. I'm so terrified because I don't want to take the new MCAT (would require a TON of extra classes and I already have a degree) and so next year is the one and only time I can apply and hope to get in.

Some more about me: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=989723

Current sGPA: 3.78 (but I have some Bs that they will include from ugrad from math)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been studying for the MCAT for about 6 months. I started taking a Princeton Review class in February and dropped out of it in early March since I didn't think it was helping me. I didn't study that much for two weeks in March while trying to find a new tutor. Throughout all of this time, I was still taking Physics II with a useless professor and working part time. I was studying the entire time and really focusing on Physics since that's my main weak area. I didn't focus on Gen Chem, Orgo or Bio that much, but probably didn't devote enough time.

I finally cut my hours drastically in mid April while still going to school (1 class) and doing volunteer work. I'm still not done reviewing all of the content (eg. most of Orgo, some Gen Chem, some Physics, some Bio) but I want to take the test on June 23 so I can apply this cycle.

My score went from a 20 (in February) to a 26 (May). My scores have been the following: 20, 22, 24, 25, 23, 26. Good improvement in Bio (6 to a 10), but not much movement in PS. Verbal is stuck at between a 9 and 11.

Is it unrealistic to take the test in June? If I haven't improved to my target score in 6 months, should I just throw in the towel and give this up? I really want it, but I know that <30 MCAT won't get me anywhere.

Current sGPA: 3.78 (but I have some Bs that they will include from ugrad from math)

Studying for MCAT while studying for classes is really hard.
I can say this since I am a senior who actually tried doing it but gave up.
I am gonna take it in September after studying for the whole summer.

If someone with cGPA of 3.9 says it is hard, you can trust him.. it is hard.
Also, you should try to study on your own more than relying on tutors..
It wont help at all if you dont try to grasp the concepts yourself.

Keep fighting, don't give up!!

tumblr_m7h0fxeEHg1rzf2vlo1_250.gif

Last edited:

Is it unrealistic to take the test in June? If I haven't improved to my target score in 6 months, should I just throw in the towel and give up on this cycle, take the test in September and hope to god I get in? I really want it, but I know that <30 MCAT won't get me anywhere. I'm so terrified because I don't want to take the new MCAT (would require a TON of extra classes and I already have a degree) and so next year is the one and only time I can apply and hope to get in.

Where are you screwing up? Is your content review not up to snuff, or are you misreading the question stems?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you screwing up? Is your content review not up to snuff, or are you misreading the question stems?

I haven't finished content review, but I've done enough that people kept urging me to take a retest since I've covered so much material since March and I'm scheduled to take the test in June.

Sometimes I read a question wrong. A friend actually asked me if I was dyslexic because I would tell him the answer was B and then circle A on the test for some reason.

I haven't finished content review, but I've done enough that people kept urging me to take a retest since I've covered so much material since March and I'm scheduled to take the test in June.

Sometimes I read a question wrong. A friend actually asked me if I was dyslexic because I would tell him the answer was B and then circle A on the test for some reason.

1) Maybe focus more on the actual content than a quick content review. If you're struggling in orgo, it may be better for you to go back to your actual orgo textbook/notes rather than a content review book which is really just meant to solidify information. It seems like you need to re-establish your content base.. content review books won't do that for you (TBR would come close, but even then.. you're better off going back to a primary source).

2) Make a rule. Read every single word. Read every single word again. Read every single answer. Read every single word of every single answer. I did something very similar because I kept making stupid mistakes with not reading the question/answer properly. But if you keep taking practice passages with the mindset that you HAVE to read EVERY SINGLE word and EVERY SINGLE answer.. you'll start doing that automatically and not have to focus on it.

26 is a decent score. It means you know what you're doing but lack complete grasp of the subject matter. IMO, <30 means you need to focus on content review a little more. Above that mark is essentially just test taking/analysis skills.

From what I heard, princeton review practice exams are harder for some reason. Have you taken an AAMC to gauge where you're at? You might be surprised. I got a 13 on the verbal on the real thing, but I've been scoring all over the map when I do my princeton online content verbal passages. (only three 100% in 36 passages I believe. Averaged something like 60%)

I'd suggest try an AAMC practice test, preferably in the high # (8-11) and see where you are at. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Plus, if you have already have a MCAT score, you could potentially extend the exam if necessary since it's going to be supplemented if you take it in june.